Columns

COLUMN: You’ve got to be kidding me

Lately, I catch myself puzzled by the daily lack of consideration I see in the world around me.

I am no saint, but some things people do really leave me jaw-dropped by how unbelievably rude they are. I know that we can find ourselves in a hurry, stuck in old habits or just simply forgetful, but my pet peeves have been skyrocketing recently.

It started off in class. My professor is older and his teaching habits are as ancient as he is. He uses a chalkboard, handwrites his exams and does not use Blackboard. All of these things are unfair to us as students. The chalkboard is messy and things get cluttered and it is hard to take notes. His excuse for handwriting the exams is that “typing isn’t really his thing.” Sigh.

Also, with him being anti-Blackboard, I think it’s inconsiderate that we don’t have any access to our grades, because I’d like to try to see how I’m doing. I think it should be mandatory that professors are somewhat up to date on technology, because it’s everywhere we look as students.

After class, I go and blow some steam at the gym and again am mind boggled by a few things in particular. A guy was standing and stretching near the ab machine talking to a girl. I wanted to use the machine next so I was lingering and eavesdropping next to them on an arm machine. I heard him say “I’ve just got one more set and I’ll be done.” Perfect, I thought.

So, I get up and clean my machine and pretend to shuffle through my music and be kind of obviously waiting, staking it out, since the gym was kind of busy. Then, what do you know? He answers a phone call and sits on the machine not doing anything besides chatting on the phone. You’ve got to be kidding me.

Let me make this clear, I am an impatient person by nature so this initially annoys me. Why would you be talking on the phone occupying a machine at a busy gym while you can tell someone is waiting?

I wait it out because I wanted to use the ab machine. The guy gets up about four minutes later (which doesn’t seem long, but again: I’m impatient). You think this story has a happy ending? No. Then he doesn’t clean it off.

So, here is my gym etiquette: if you want to talk on the phone, take it elsewhere. And if you can’t use the paper towel and spray when you’re done, then work out at home.

I get home from the gym later that night and go to take a shower. I share my bathroom with a roommate who is kind of messy. But, this is not a matter of cleanliness, this is common courtesy in the bathroom. I walk in and see a few annoying things that again make me think, you’ve got to be kidding me.

Put the seat of the toilet down. No one wants to look at that when they first walk in the bathroom.

Also, if you take a shower, that’s great, but close the shower curtain. That’s why it’s there, to look cute and cover up the shower.

Might I mention, my roommate is a female? Get it together.

1. This is real life says:

What is this and why is it published? CM-Life isn’t a Facebook thread where you can complain about everything? This letter has no substance whatsoever. You don’t know your grade? Go to your professor’s office hours if he doesn’t use Blackboard. You want to use the ab machine but it’s busy? Find another ab exercise to do. You have a messy roommate? Welcome to college.

2. Thank you for telling everyone about your bad day. I feel much better knowing that your roommate forgot to close the shower curtain.

Hey, CM Life! May I please have my own personal complaint column?

3. Aw, someone finally met other human beings!

4. Not posting grades to blackboard is inconsiderate and unfair because you would “like to see how you’re doing”? Here’s a thought: take responsibility for your own education.

Pick up your graded assignments and tests, record the grade in your notebook (or Excel spreadsheet, or iPhone app), add up these scores, divide by the total points possible in your class (all this information is available on your syllabus). Presto: you know how you’re doing in the class. The math is elementary, and you actually participate in tracking your own work instead of expecting this to be charted for you by someone else. You might even learn something.

5. This all seems a bit petty and a waste of space in the newspaper. Is there really nothing else going on around CMU more news worthy?? Welcome to life, it’s never going to be perfect so get used to it honey.

6. Real Life Problems says:

If you were mature enough, you would realize that these things are nothing compared to real life problems.

7. Albert_einstein says:

I’m glad I wasted 5 five minutes of my life reading the this…thanks CMU life for letting this get published ill never get that time back

8. I mean come on... says:

#whitegirlproblems

Seriously, with everything going on in the world right now these are the things that you felt were important enough to write about? You’ve got to be kidding me.

9. My initial response: YOU’VE got to be kidding ME.

This article could be the face of a “I’m a Snotty White Girl Living In America” campaign. Why don’t you stand up to people and assert yourself a bit more, rather than stand there and wait for people to do things for you.

Why don’t you take a walk down to the CMU Bookstore (I’m sorry, should us CM-Life readers call a cab for you since you clearly can’t handle simple day-to-day activities?) and buy yourself a notebook to start keeping a diary.

P.S. Try to not have a mental breakdown tomorrow if a slight breeze blows your bangs the wrong way. That would be really unfortunate. The wind is SO RUDE!

10. This may be one of the worst things I ever read… Hate your life that much?

11. Someone needs to call the whaaaammmbulance

12. If this is the future of journalism, I’m scared.

13. dinosaurpuke says:

Oh, honey. No.

14. The headline is really a perfect way to express how I feel about this “column”: You’ve got to be kidding me.

Sweetie, if you think your life is hard, try getting out into the real world with a marriage to keep exciting, a little one who depends on you, car payments to pay on time, electric and gas bills, baby weight to lose, a house to maintain, clients to deal with, a dog to walk and take to the vet… and did I mention I’m 23 years old and graduated in 2011? And besides this mini rant right here, you’ll never hear me complain. I actually think my life is pretty great- and look what I “deal with” daily?

I WISH my biggest problem was that my roommate left the shower curtain open and I had to wait for an ab machine… or that I even had time to work out. Boy, oh boy, you have no idea how good your life is. This is a great example of a white girl problem.