CVS opens on Mission Street, expects heavy student traffic
CVS Pharmacy opened today and expects to have a little rivalry with its neighbor pharmacy.
CVS, 712 Preston St., began in July and sits across the street from Walgreens, 1309 S. Mission St., but is closer to near campus.
“We expect it to be busy,” CVS manager Evan Borrin said. “Especially with Walgreens across the street. It will probably drive some competition.”
While some would think Walgreens and CVS would be fighting for business, CVS is confident they will be busy with customers, he said.
Calls made to Walgreens were directed to corporate headquarters and not returned to Central Michigan Life.
Borrin said he is hoping it will help drive some business to help the economy. He says that attraction should help bring customers in.
With the location being so close to campus, many students may be going there for prescriptions and school necessities, like pens and notebooks, he said.
“Since you do not have to cross Mission Street to get there, it makes it more convenient for on-campus students to get there,” Borrin said.
Construction of CVS began in early July, and while the store is already open, the official grand opening is Sunday.
“The project has been designed to comply with the plans that were approved by the city and the planning Commission,” said Jeff Gray, Director of Planning and Community Development.
According to an August article in Central Michigan Life, Mount Pleasant building official Brian Kench said a left turn lane was slated to be added on Preston Street between Mission Street and East Campus Drive, in addition to a ‘right turn only’ lane the full length of east-bound Preston Street.
Building permits were issued June 19 and construction began in July.
“There were a few days with rain that slowed down the masonry work, but for the most part the contractors have moved very quickly with the work thus far,” Kench said.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here