Columns / Voices

COLUMN: The evolution of Halloween costumes

Do you remember your first Halloween?

I was a “Jackson-in-the-box.” Get it? It’s a pun. My parents are hilarious.

Reflecting on Halloween growing up, I remember always going trick or treating with one of my neighbors at the time.

I still remember a picture of us dressed as Darth Vader and Princess Leia when we were 7 years old. I haven’t spoken to her since 10th grade, but I’m still friends with her on Facebook and from time to time her posts will pop up on my news feed.

Friday she posted a picture of her costume for this weekend: a ‘slutty’ cowgirl.

Booty shorts that barely covered her butt, low cut and cut up flannel to fully expose her cleavage and mid-section and a cowboy hat to complete the look.

As I saw that picture, I couldn’t help but think, “Really? This is the same girl that I used to play house with, who used to dress up as an innocent princess?”

But it’s not just her. It’s girls everywhere. This weekend, I don’t remember seeing too many modest costumes.

When and why did the paradigm of Halloween costumes shift from film characters and athletes to anything with the word “slutty” thrown in front of it?

The only answer I can think of is that girls think that they need to dress like that just to get a guy to notice them at a party. However, this explanation couldn’t be further from the truth.

For me, seeing girls degrade themselves by dressing the way they do on Halloween is one of the biggest turn-offs. Before disagreeing with me, I want to ask the guys out there a question: Is that really what you want your girlfriend or future wife to look like?

Do you truly want a girl whose cleavage and rear end is free and on display for every guy at the party? Do you really want to date the girl parading around the party like a Las Vegas stripper? That’s not romance, it’s just pathetic.

Girls, if you feel the only way to get a guy to notice you is to dress slutty and show your boobs to everyone, please stay away from me, because you must have a painfully dull personality.

Guys, think about your attitudes toward girls, especially on Halloween. When you see a girl in a suggestive costume, just think, is this the kind of girl that you want standing across the aisle from you one day?

Think about how you see yourself; you don’t need to dress like a slut to be beautiful. You don’t gain popularity by choosing to dress like a slut, you lose dignity and self-respect. Have respect for yourself, because if you don’t respect yourself, no one else will.

1. Here we go again... says:

CM Life strikes again with another sexist column that embarrasses the school and the student body. Anyone who thinks a girl dressing up in a sexy costume is a slut (male or female) is an ignorant misogynist. We are not living in the dark ages anymore, Mr. Seedott. Do you also think women should be flogged for showing their ankles in public?

2. SEXYANDIKNOWIT says:

Wait…is this a joke? I don’t need a misogynistic little boy telling me how I should or should not dress on Halloween, which may I remind you is the ONE DAY A YEAR that you can be ANYTHING you want to be.

3. This article is amazing, I can just feel the anger radiating off the feminists.

4. This is annoying. says:

I find it hilarious that you are that shallow to assume that because a girl decides to dress skimpy for a holiday about fun and partying has a “painfully dull personality”. How ignorant can you be? Are you going to assume she must be an idiot too? I’m a premed student and I can dress however I want whenever I want. Doesn’t mean I’m some blonde idiot with no personality. I think you might need a reality check. Its 2012 dude. And I would suggest not going out to a party on Halloween to find your future wife anyway.

5. is this real life? says:

Even though I may go as Audrey Hepburn or Olivia Benson for Halloween that’s MY CHOICE. And you do not get the right to call other girls that choose to dress the way they do “sluts”. It’s disgusting and ignorant. No, wait a minute. You don’t get the right to judge us at all.

Just maybe dressing provocatively makes them feel empowered. I don’t know and neither do you. But it doesn’t matter because it’s not up to either of us. It’s their decision. Period. End of discussion.

If some dude’s going to judge me because of how I dressed for a holiday ONCE and decide I’m not even worth talking to or investing time in relationship with then I don’t want his attention anyway. I’m not sure what fairy tale you’re living in…but most people can’t make the distinction about whether or not they want to marry someone by looking at them once.

Get real.

6. Let me enlighten all of you, girls dress “slutty” because other girls do it. The women leaders on campus make it seem okay, they get attention, and so every other girls does it. It’s a “leader and follower” mentality. When you don’t dress slutty, for Halloween especially, other girls judge you in a bad way. The only way they don’t judge you is if you’re more pretty than them and can pull it off, but then they still judge out of jealousy. I agree that Halloween has been turned into a nalf naked thing, but don’t try to wrap your mind around why girls do what they do. To guys, it’s surface level, but for girls, it’s always an emotional thing. We don’t do it so guys can notice us, we do it to fit in and not be judged by other girls.

7. As a young woman on campus I just have to say that this article is AWESOME. Thank you for standing up for the dignity and equality of women. And Mr. Seddatt, there are many women on campus and elsewhere who agree with you. Keep up the good work.