Top Stories / University

Former military general, Secretary of State Colin Powell to keynote MLK Jr. week at CMU

Former military general and U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell will speak at Central Michigan University on Jan. 24.

Colin Powell

Powell, a four-star military general and Secretary of State from 2001 to 2005 under President George W. Bush, will serve as keynote speaker for Martin Luther King Jr. celebration week, according to a release sent out by the university Monday afternoon. The event is scheduled for 8 p.m. Jan. 24 at the CMU Events Center.

Tickets will be free and made available beginning in mid-November.

“Colin Powell is a man of high character and great integrity who has much wisdom to offer the students, faculty and staff of CMU, as well as residents of the surrounding region,” University President George Ross said in the release. “We are honored and humbled to host one of America’s greatly admired and respected leaders.”

Powell will be paid $125,000 for his appearance, a ‘majority’ of which will come from the the Philip A. Hart and William G. Milliken Endowed Speaker Series fund, according to the release. The Office of Institutional Diversity, Multicultural Academic Students Services, Speaker Series and Program Board have also helped to fund the event.

Additional events with Powell are likely to be added at a later date, according to the release.

“Gen. Powell’s speech, ‘Taking Charge,’ is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for students, the campus and the community to gain leadership counsel from one of the nation’s most highly decorated generals,” said Pamela Gates, dean of the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences.

A respected and well-known statesman with more than 35 years of military service, Powell rose to captain status within the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War and earned more than 10 separate medals for his duty, including a Purple Heart, Bronze Star two Legion of Merit awards.

A moderate Republican and rumored vice presidential pick in 2008, Powell endorsed then-Senator Barack Obama over Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. On Thursday, he endorsed Obama over former Massachusetts governor and GOP candidate Mitt Romney.

1. Counting down until the wingnuts start calling him a liberal…

2. And there’s little doubt the KluelessKommentKlan will make an appearance, also.

3. Another liberal. While I respect Gen Powell, $125,000 is ridiculous.

4. Not worth commenting on. Powell is a disgrace. It has nothing to do with his race.

• Since you saw fit to comment after all, perhaps you can explain why you think he’s a disgrace. Here, let me get it started for you: “I’m not a racist, but…”

• he is a disgrace and a party hack for supporting a lifelong leftist/marxist for President while feigning as a moderate conservative. if anyone needs to start a sentence with your aforementioned it’s Colin Powell

5. michmediaperson says:

Question for liberal administrators, faculty and students.
    You throw a tizzy and scream and pout about the richest 1 percent and how the 99 percent are getting screwed. You promote the “Occupy Movement.” You say the rich are evil. Anyone making over $250,000 a year is a bad person.
    Yet, you cash-strapped students and loud mouth faculty who were yelling and screaming about your pay a year ago, have no problem writing a check for $125,000 to 2-time Obama supporter Colin Powell.
    Colin Powell’s net worth is estimated at 45 million dollars. A reporter who interviewed Powell 2 weeks ago wrote how Powell drove up in his expensive, top-of-the-line Corvette which cost a lot of $$$.
    So, how do you justify giving a 1 percenter, a person with a 45 million dollar net worth, lives in an expensive home, drives the finest cars, $125,000 when CMU students especially those from the inner-city are struggling to make ends meet.
    Could a lot of you Liberals explain how this is different. I don’t understand wacky Liberals. 45 million dollar Powell getting $125,000 from cash-strapped students.
    Explain that one.
    How much money does Powell need? Can’t he set up a $125,000 scholarship fund at CMU for inner-city students? Maybe, some for returning veterans? Maybe, a scholarship fund for wounded vets wanting to go back to school?
    Like to hear from Liberal students and liberal faculty how you justify giving $125,000 to someone with a 45 million dollar net worth. Or, do you now support the richest 1 percent of Americans?

• A conservative Republican gets brought in, yet you still whine. Unsurprising in the least.

• Chippewa '98 says:

He is no conservative Republican. Once upon a time, he was a Republican, but he was never a conservative. He’s pro-abortion, pro-affirmative action and has endorsed the Democrats in the last two presidential elections. He has been an unabashed, card-carrying liberal since leaving the first Bush administration.

• He’s been pretty much what he’s been for decades. He’s not what’s changed. The GOP has pandered to racists and bigots for decades, and now it’s being overrun by the scum it attracted.

• not a michmediamoron says:

You wanted Karl Rove. Give him a call; see how much it’d take to get him to show up.
      Your concern trolling is transparent.

6. Dang, I wish I could talk for 45 minutes and make six figures. This has got to be one of the highest amounts the school has paid for a speaker.

7. michmediaperson says:

Colin Powell IS NO CONSERVATIVE!!!! He is an extreme liberal:

1. Supports anti-conservative Barack Hussein Obama for president.

2. Supports the socialistic economic agenda of Obama that will bankrupt the USA and make us another Greece and Spain. He made 45 million from capitalism and now wants socialism after he made his fortune.

3. Pro abortion, pro gun control, pro racial quotas, pro gay marriage, pro illegal immigrants and on and on and on.
    He’s no Conservative! He’s not even a Republican. If he were a Republican, he would have supported a Vietnam War POW John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney this year. He’s a Democrat. He’s for Obama.
    Now, 321, answer the question, I asked.

• “He’s no Conservative! He’s not even a Republican.”

Other non-Conservative, non-Republicans: John McCain; Willard Romney; the Bushes, George; Ronald Reagan; Richard Nixon; Abraham Lincoln; etc.

Nobody is a Conservative Republican except you; you’re the only True Scotsman. Crackpot, party of one, your table is ready.

8. I_Was_A_Teenage_McCarthyist says:

Helped halt an investigation of the My Lai Massacre in Viet Nam
    Supported contras and supplied them weapons on Reagan
    Half-Heartedly supported invasion of Iraq in the early 90s only to pull out a couple of days after 200,000 civilians were killed in bombing raids while targeting non-military real estate
    Worked under neo-cons and lied to UN to support war which continued to this day – far beyond original scope and reason

A Fine Choice to speak on the topic of leadership Central
    Practically a steal at 1/8 of a million dollars.

Great