CMU theater debuting ‘Scarlet Pimpernel’ on Wednesday
Senior Kelsey Braman said having the “Scarlet Pimpernel” as her final show in her days of theatre at Central Michigan University is a dream come true.
The Holt native said there is something everyone can enjoy in the production, which will be taking place Wednesday through Sunday in Bush Theatre.
“Romantics will enjoy the love triangle between Percy, Marguerite and Chauvelin,” Braman said. “History buffs will love the time period and the references to real events and real people. Everyone will be smitten with the costumes, hair, set pieces, and talent and the orchestra is incredibly talented.”
The play is set in the late 1800s, telling a story of a brave group of Englishmen who risk their lives to save victims of the guillotine in a tale themed of loyalty, betrayal, passion and love.
Sophomore play member Alexander Cabala said the play is a superhero story like “Batman,” but it’s set in the time period of the French Revolution.
The Portage native said this play has something for every member of the audience.
Cabala said he wants students to come see the play because it is relative to real life with its main theme of loyalty.
“Whether that something is a person, their country, or anything else, loyalty is something everyone has in their life in some form,” Cabala said.
Braman said the plot is filled with variety and intricacies, making the plot very powerful for the audience.
“This musical is part action movie; there are sword fights and heads being sliced off. It is part comedy (and) there are some hysterical scenes,” Cabala said.
Braman said this show is one of the biggest that she has seen or been apart of at CMU.
The show is based on historical events, so Braman said there were a few challenges in getting character roles as accurate as possible.
“Everything, from the way we speak to the way we walk to the way we hold our arms, is different than what we are used to. Being in this show is like stepping back into time,” Braman said.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here