Former hockey captain learning to speak, walk after hit-and-run accident in October
Former Central Michigan University Hockey Captain Mark Morley, 22, was critically injured following a hit-and-run accident by a 27-year-old Alma resident on October 13.
At 3 a.m., Mount Pleasant Police officers were dispatched to 1225 S. Mission St. near E. Preston Street following a report of a hit-and-run.
When police arrived at the scene, Morley, a St. Clair senior, was lying on the sidewalk wearing roller blades, non-responsive but breathing, with apparent broken bones.
Morley’s sister, Michelle, said she doesn’t know the extent of his injuries yet.
“Brain injuries can take a long time, with the leg it’s too soon to tell, he can’t even put weight on it yet,” she said.
Two pieces of plastic were picked up from the scene, and were later matched to the passenger side mirror of a 1999 Buick,owned by Jennifer Lynn Oxendale, 27, of Alma.
Isabella County Sheriff Deputy Nick Diedrich stopped the suspect’s vehicle and arrested Oxendale.
Later, Mount Pleasant Police Officer Dale Hawks spoke with Oxendale while she was at the emergency room at McLaren-Central Michigan Hospital, 1221 South Drive, who confirmed that she was alone, but did not remember hitting anyone and did not remember seeing anyone in the roadway.
Mount Pleasant first responders and MMR responded to administer first aid at the scene, police said. Morley was later transported to McLaren Central Michigan.
“He’s going through rehab at my parents’,” Michelle said. “Days are now filled with doctors appointments, physical therapy, speech therapy; it’s a huge setback.”
“We’re just really appreciative of all the support,” Michelle said. “He’s in good spirits. He’s taking it one day at a time.”
Oxendale is scheduled to appear in court today at 8 a.m.
“I’m a paramedic, so it’s crazy being on the other side of things,” Michelle said. “I see these things all the time, but you don’t imagine it happening to your brother.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here