Student Veterans of America host panel in honor of Veteran’s Day
The Student Veterans of America at Central Michigan University hosted the Veteran’s Outreach Panel on Wednesday night in the Park Library Auditorium.
Although turnout for the event was unexpectedly low, the event continued as planned.
The SVA, which has an office in Warriner Hall, is designed to help those who have served in the military transition to higher education.
According to the SVA website, they offer networking for other veterans and help finding transitional programs on campus and in the Mount Pleasant community.
“[The SVA is] here to dispel rumors and misconceptions about military life,” said SVA President Marques Hicks. “Just having someone that can listen and talk is a great benefit to veterans.”
Beginning at 6 p.m., the presentation featured experiences and advice from a panel of four former servicemen from various branches of the military, including the Marines and the Navy.
The panel, led by Director of the Veteran’s Resource Center Steve Rellinger, consisted of Jeremy Simerson, Kyle Elsea, Marques Hicks and Barton Buechner – all veterans of the U.S. Military.
“We just want to get rid of the social taboo against veterans,” said Simerson, a former marine, during his presentation. “With the SVA, and more involvement, that’s very possible.”
After the presentation concluded, the SVA took the time to award Buechner with a plaque for his advocacy of veteran’s affairs at CMU.
The Veteran’s Outreach Panel is only one part of a series of events taking place on campus this week to commemorate Veteran’s Day. Other events include Issue’s Day Presentation and a Veteran’s Day Concert – both taking place on
More information regarding these events can be found online.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here