VP of communications candidate Jan Bond pushes more social media usage at CMU
Associate Vice President of University Communications candidate Jan Bond said during an open forum Wednesday that interaction with students and social media usage are needed at Central Michigan University.
Bond, who started her career in graphic design, said social media is important because of its use on campus to inform students of the happenings going on around the university. She currently serves as director of communications and marketing at Ashland University in Ashland, Ohio.
She said the Internet, and more specifically social media, is the direction in which we are headed as a university.
“I utilize a lot of online activity,” she said.
Bond said the president should be more involved through relationships with the students and through the use of social media. She said live video chats with the president would help bring the campus closer together.
“I want to work with people and have open dialogue about what is happening,” she said. ”I think being forthcoming with information is best, (and I) would like to work and connect with people and build relationships.”
Through her experience, Bond has overcome budget, campus and awareness issues, as well as other web design setbacks. She said she always tries to take a lesson away from each experience.
“In any situation, I always go back and try to learn from it,” Bond said.
Bond also wants to emphasize diversity on campus. She believes the identity of the university is everyone’s responsibility, and we all need to work together in order to achieve a diverse campus.
Her desire to work in public education at a high level is part of what is driving her to achieve her goal.
“I always wanted to get into higher education,” she said. ”The public institution is where my heart is.”
The final candidate, Sherry Knight, current interim VP of University Communications, will hold an open forum from 1 to 2 p.m. Friday in the Park Library Auditorium.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here