Football / Sports

Around the MAC: Championship game set; WMU’s Cubit fired

Two Mid-American Conference regular season games turned into semifinals for the Championship that put Kent State and Northern Illinois on top of both divisions.

With NIU beating Toledo and Kent State defeating Bowling Green, the two will meet at 7 p.m. on Nov. 30 at Ford Field for the MAC title. It will be Kent State’s first trip to the MAC Championship game.

Shortly after Western Michigan lost to Eastern Michigan on Saturday, the Broncos decided to fire head coach Bill Cubit after his eighth season. The 4-8 finish was WMU’s worst season since the year before it hired Cubit in 2004, going 1-10.

Northern Illinois 31, Toledo 24

NIU junior quarterback Jordan Lynch made another statement toward the MAC Player of the Year award with 407 passing yards and 162 rushing and three touchdowns Saturday. The Rockets (8-3, 2-5 MAC) had a 14-7 lead, but three interceptions thrown by Toledo junior quarterback Terrance Owens helped the Huskies get back to the MAC Championship game. NIU improved to 10-1 with the win, including 7-0 in the conference.

Kent State 31, Bowling Green 24

With 21 seconds left in the game, BGSU threw a final fourth-down pass 17 yards into the end zone for its MAC Championship game chances to remain alive. Luke Wollet intercepted those chances and sealed the Golden Flashes, making their first MAC championship appearance ever. Junior running back Dri Archer had 241 rushing yards and two touchdowns, averaging 14.2 yards per carry. BGSU slipped to 7-4 with a 5-2 conference record, while Toledo improved to 8-3, including 5-2 in the MAC.

Eastern Michigan 29, Western Michigan 23

Central Michigan, EMU and WMU will all share the Michigan MAC Trophy this season, with each team finishing 1-1 against each other. WMU senior quarterback Alex Carder threw for 328 yards and two touchdowns in his last college game, but it wasn’t enough to earn the victory. The Broncos slip to 4-8, 2-6 MAC, while the Eagles (2-9, 1-6 MAC) remain the bottom dweller of the West Division.

Ball State 57, Ohio 27

Ball State had two quarterbacks with a pair of touchdowns a piece and two running backs with more than 130 yards and a touchdown Saturday as it ran over Ohio. It was a close game until the fourth quarter when BSU (8-3, 5-2 MAC) scored three unanswered touchdowns to finish the game. MAC preseason favorite Ohio (8-3, 4-3 MAC) has one win over the past four weeks since being ranked in the Associated Press poll.

Buffalo 29, Massachusetts 19

It looked as if UMass would get its second MAC win, up 13-0 at halftime, but a fourth quarter dominated by the Bulls kept it from happening. Although the score was there throughout, Buffalo had 405 offensive yards to UMass’s 264. The Minutemen slip to 1-10 – winless in the MAC – while Buffalo (4-7, 3-4 MAC) sits fourth in the East Division.

1. Western won’t settle for mediocrity, why should Central? Unless the team totally implodes against UMass, the Chips should finish 6-6. Don’t let the record fool you. Central had a very easy schedule this year. It played an FCS school, three of the four worst teams in the MAC East and Iowa, one of the worst teams in the Big 10 -Iowa. We should have been competitive against a sub-par Navy team. Troy beat them.
    Bringing back Enos would be a major mistake.

2. Maybe Enos will join Cubit after the last game of the season!

3. Brian C You say we had a weak schedule? That’s correct and look what we did with the weak schedule, won 5 and most likely 6 games.You have to win the ones you are suppose to and we did! If we lose those games , fine serve up Enos like WMU served up Cubit for not winning the easy ones they should of won.

You all want someone to roast? I don’t get it! He was expected to only win maybe 2-3 games this year and now look he has 5 and a possibility for 6. Which makes the team BOWL ELIGIBLE!! That is what you all want from a coach and your university! Look it has almost been done and either way win or lose he did ABOVE yours and many media outlets predictions for the season.

He if wins against UMass will have won 5 out of the last 6 games of the season and even doesn’t win still won 4 out of last 6….. That is a better overall record than Akron,Umass and EMU COMBINED!!!

Quit whining for his firing because its what everyone else is doing and get off the bandwagons and think for yourselves!

• Robert -

1. ” That is a better overall record than Akron,Umass and EMU COMBINED!!! ” Boy Robert, you really set your sights high. The Chips have a better combined record than two MAC historic bottom-feeders and a first-year FBS team. Incidentally, Eastern, Akron and UMass are rated #113, #120 and #123 respectively of the 124 FBS teams at CBSSports.

2. If you truly believe the Chips are going to get a bowl bid, you’re really dreaming. There are too many better MAC teams and our SOS is #110. Attendance stinks because the team has performed so poorly under Enos and the man has done so many things to alienate students, alumni and probably the players by trying to turn CMU into the MSU JV.
      3. The fact is that Dan Enos took over a program that was rated in the top 30 the previous year and drove it into the ground. Yes, the Chips graduated the best quarterback in the school’s history. but Enos ensured mediocrity by abandoning the spread offense, which gives mid-majors a chance against ranked opponents.