EDITORIAL: Smoking policy at CMU a good one
There is an importance in re-evaluating policies from time to time to keep up with the changing times.
The smoke-free policy review group recently put into place at Central Michigan will do just that, looking to improve the policy put into place four years ago.
CMU’s current smoking policy states that smoking is not permitted within 25 feet or inside any university building, with the exception of some university apartments.
It addresses a health issue without completely outlawing smoking on campus. By pushing smokers away from building entrances, windows and ducts, students and faculty who don’t want to put up with the smoke can avoid it for the most part.
However, this editorial board warns the policy review group that a complete ban of smoking on campus would most likely cause more problems.
While it might seem like a trendy thing to do, considering places like the University of Michigan have it in place, it’s also something that is semi-invasive and really has no place at a mid-major university like CMU.
While U-M can thrive, specifically because its Ann Arbor campus is based in the middle of the city, Mount Pleasant and CMU do not have that connection. CMU isn’t nestled in the middle of a city, but rather in a small community, where it wouldn’t make much sense to have students and faculty walk off campus or to specific smoking areas.
Furthermore, having a full-out ban could make first-year students more apt to do it in the residence halls.
A more viable option would be to move the cigarette discard receptacles further away from buildings.
At their current locations, students are tempted to stamp out their cigarettes close to building doorways and enter with a trail of smoke leading in behind them.
A complete ban on most things is not a viable option, but rather moderation should be key.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- bridesmaids: Very good info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chanc…
- 66Chip: I certainly agree with the purpose of CCAP, which states tha…
- josh: I'm looking for a 98 to 2006 Suzuki katana frame with clean …
- Sherryl Morris: Hi, I am looking for a gas tank that may fit a 1980 Yamaha S…
- : Judge yourself first. …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here