Local businesses benefit from Black Friday sales
Mount Pleasant businesses saw volumes of Black Friday shoppers the day after Thanksgiving.
Many reported increased numbers in traffic and sales made that day, but most were glad to see a substantial amount of business in the area.
Shirley Wilkinson, employee at B’s Music Shop, 613 N. Mission St., said the shop opened at 5 a.m. and overall had a very good day in terms of revenue.
“I haven’t been here for many years, but I know it was better than last Black Friday, both busier and more profitable,” she said.
However, not everyone had the same circumstances.
Being primarily a grocery store, GreenTree, 214 N. Franklin St., didn’t expect massive lines outside the store, Cooperative Marketing and Outreach manager Laura Coffee said. The store maintained its standard hours of operation from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
“As we expected, the day after Thanksgiving is usually pretty quiet, with everyone eating leftovers and such,” she said. “It was slightly busier than expected, a little more so than last year, but not by a remarkable amount.”
It was the same story for Kati Mora, owner and nutritionist at The Plate Boutique, 120 E. Broadway St.
“It was a pretty laid-back day yesterday (Friday), a few people stopped in mid afternoon, around maybe lunch time,” Mora said.
The Plate Boutique opened its doors at 9 a.m. Saturday, earlier than the usual.
However, the day after Black Friday also marked Small Business Saturday in the downtown district of the city, when patrons are encouraged to shop at small, locally-owned stores. It was The Plate Boutique’s first year participating in this event, and Mora said she had high expectations.
Mora was happy to report that Mount Pleasant’s downtown area thrived throughout the day and called her first Small Business Saturday a success.
“With Small Business Saturday, it’s been a really great day,” she said. “It’s nice to see local people from Mount Pleasant coming in and looking around, many of them for the first time. It’s nice that they can come down and see first hand what we’re all about.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here