Stabbing suspect charged with open murder, remained jailed on $1 million bond
A 25-year-old Mount Pleasant man is jailed on $1 million bond after being arraigned following the fatal stabbing of 20-year-old Tyrone Dean Stanley.
Curtis Richard Leachman, 112 S. Main St., was charged in the Isabella County Trial Court with open murder as well as witness intimidation after police say he threatened witnesses outside Stanley’s Main Street apartment. Open murder carries a maximum penalty of life in prison, while witness intimidation is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
Leachman yawned during this morning’s arraignment and told Judge William R. Rush that his bond doesn’t matter because he doesn’t have any money, according to the Associated Press.
Leachman alleges he never threatened any witnesses.
“During the arraignment, Leachman asked for, and was granted a court appointed attorney from the Isabella County Public Defenders’ Office,” Isabella County Prosecutor Risa Scully said in a news release.
The defendant is due back in court Thursday morning for a preliminary examination.
Leachman was previously on probation in 2009 for two years following Home invasion of the third degree as well as breaking and entering a building with intent.
In 2011 he violated his probation after a third offense of domestic violence. Leachman was no longer on probation as of Sept. 5.
Calls made to the Mount Pleasant Police Department were not returned Tuesday.
As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, Stanley died from a stab wound at an apartment in the 100 block of S. Main St. around 4 a.m. Saturday, according to a news release from the Mount Pleasant Police Department. Stanley was transported to McLaren-Central Michigan Hospital, 1221 S. Drive, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.
Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said the sheriff’s department victim services assisted at the scene by notifying Stanley’s family of his death.
“It’s unfortunate these situations are happening,” Mioduszewski said. “It seems like over the past couple years there’s been two to three homicides a year. It’s tragic. I hate to see it here around Central Michigan.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here