Letters

LETTER: College abuse of Adderall gives unfair advantage

Recently it has came to my attention the prevalence of Adderall abuse in college students.

Rather than setting appropriate time aside to study, students are relying on this substance to cram for an exam, or to focus on an exam.

At the end of my college career I will proudly be able to say I got through those awful 10 page papers and tough exams because I worked hard and studied, and not because I relied on Adderall.

Many students may blame their reasoning for using this ‘smart pill’ because of the high expectations and competitiveness in college.

However, users of this substance have an unfair advantage compared to the students that do not use this substance. The prevalence of this substance on college campuses draws many concerns for the future of these students.

Adderall is considered a Schedule 2 controlled substance, with a high rate for addiction. If students continually rely on this substance to get through college, when graduation time comes around they may discover they are unable to function without it.

Just think about the amount of people who will be in treatment for Adderall because of their dependence on the drug from habitual use in college.

Not to mention the amount of negative effects this substance can have on users including mood swings, loss of appetite, and trouble sleeping. I believe college campuses should take this issue seriously, and be aware of the fast growing rate of Adderall users across the nation.

Amanda Walker

Livonia junior

1. I_Was_A_Teenage_McCarthyist says:

Unfair advantage? This is college not a triathlon.
    What do you care if the person next to you taking a test is completely tweaked out on uppers? it doesn’t affect your grade.

Adderal is a substance which I abhor and produces terrible dependence. But still, it’s not like taking growth hormone. It’s more like snorting ten cups of coffee.

You just realized how dependent college kids are on uppers? Maybe you should make another rocket science-esque discovery about how Mount Pleasant wouldn’t have an economy without student loan debt. Duh.

2. “Recently it has came to my attention…”

I stopped reading there.
    Glad to see my college alive and alert.

3. I will admit to being significantly hugely LESS impressed with a student I know when I found out that her grades and hard work were likely linked to amphetamine abuse. Academic exams may NOT be a triathlon but they ARE meant to be fair. How is altering your state in order to get stuff done, fair on other students who can’t afford it or just have a better moral compass? The highest contempt goes to those who attend psychiatric clinics pretending to had ADD when they have no such thing. That makes a mockery of mental illness and dilutes the concern of the general populace to the plight of people who are genuinely afflicted. It’s come to something when the very word ‘Adderell’ makes you think the taker of it must be a student as opposed to actually unwell and in genuine need. I did my degree in England as a mature student and also as a lone parent with three children, each under ten years old. I managed to obtain a first and did not have to take a hit from a deal to do so. If I had needed to take drugs to get respectable grades I’d have rethought being at Uni in the first place. It’s a great feeling to know when you’ve accomplished something BY YOURSELF. They don’t call it Adderell ABUSE for nothing. Prevalence does NOT equate to acceptance nor condoning. Something should be done about this; by the parents, the doctors, the colleges and the students themselves. If I’d taken drugs to help me do…well, basically what I enrolled to uni to do, I would not be half as proud of how well I did. Good for you for writing this letter and good for you for maintaining a normal worldview and not accepting that those weaker, though greater in number, are the ones to follow.