Some local coffee shops plan to extend hours for exam week
Students are flocking to cafes and coffee shops to do some extra studying as finals week approaches.
To accommodate for the influx of customers, local businesses are extending hours during exam week to promote a positive studying atmosphere.
Libby Motzenbecker, an employee at Kaya Coffee House, 1029 S. University Ave., said the coffee shop would be open 24 hours beginning Sunday night.
With a quiet atmosphere, lots of seating and plenty of caffeine, Kaya is a popular destination among CMU students, she said.
Laurie DeYoung, Biggby Coffee owner, 4445 E Bluegrass Rd., said her store is taking a different approach.
“We do a dollar-off promotion and a buy one get one free coupon during exam week, which we’ve been handing out for the last month,” she said.
Biggby will not be extending hours and will operate on their normal schedule of opening at 6 a.m. Monday through Friday and at 7 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
“We are also open until 10 o’clock, and we have plenty of seating available for the students,” DeYoung said.
University Cup Coffee House, 1027 South Franklin St., owner Tim Driessnack said his business will not be extending its hours.
“We’ve been open for 18 and a half years, and we’ve never extended hours on exam week simply because we have all student employees and it wouldn’t be fair to them to make them work more during their exams,” he said.
The University Cup is open through midnight Sunday through Wednesday, and until 11 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. U Cup will continue regular operation hours opening at 7 a.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
“We have a lot of promotions that go on during the year, and we may have some more for students during exam week,” he said.
CMU students are grateful that the businesses are catering to their needs during exam week, Au Gres freshman Rebekah Pauly said.
“It’s really nice of the coffee shops to stay open so late, especially on exam week,” she said. “Kaya especially has a really great atmosphere for studying, and the fact that they’ll be open all night is great, because sometimes it’s hard to get stuff done in the dorms.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here