Alum Andrew Dost continues success with fun.
Kicking off a new worldwide tour starting Jan. 23, nominated for six Grammy awards, and guest appearances on Saturday Night Live — it seems the band fun. really does have it all.
It’s safe to say that Central Michigan University alumnus Andrew Dost, member of the band fun., has come along way since his career at CMU from 2001 to 2005.
Dost graduated from CMU in 2005 as a journalism major and was a member of the local Mount Pleasant band Anathallo. When Dost was a member of Anathallo, the band played many U.S. tours, as well as tours in Europe and Japan, and even played at the Coachella Valley Arts and Music Festival in 2007. But his days as a musician didn’t really reflect his memories and time at CMU.
“I would say one of my favorite things about CMU was, the first time in my life, that I had met my friends,” Dost told CM Life in March 2012. “It was a place to meet lifelong friends.”
The indie/alternative band’s career took off with their hit “We Are Young,” which they played Wednesday at the Grammy Nomination Ceremony in Nashville.
The song was nominated for Best Song yesterday. It peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 list and was recognized during a Chevrolet commercial during the Super Bowl this past year. It was even covered on the musical comedy-drama television series “Glee.”
The band was also nominated for Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Best New Artist, Best Pop Duo/Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album.
The band’s album, “Some Nights,” includes the hit singles “We Are Young,” “Some Nights” and “Carry On.” The album had over three million digital downloads within the first two weeks of its release.
Dost told CM Life in March that the band was working hard to shine in the industry.
“Any time we have a goal, we want to outdo it,” Dost said in March. “Part of pushing ourselves means that we’re always looking for new goals to achieve.”
Former Anathallo band member Daniel Bracken told CM Life that he is happy for Dost and the other members of fun.’s continued success.
The 55th Annual Grammy Awards will take place on Feb. 10 at 8 p.m. on CBS.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here