Men’s basketball puts up season-high points in 92-80 win over Texas State
Men’s basketball scored a season-high 92 points as it out-shot Texas State to pick up the 92-80 win Thursday night in McGuirk Arena.
The Chippewas shot 53.7 percent to the Bobcats 50 percent while shooting 45.8 percent from three-point range.
CMU did its damage both from beyond the arc and driving through the lane. It shot 74.2 percent from the free throw line and shot more the 20 more free throws then its opponent for the second-straight game.
“Offensively, coming into the game our thought process was assists and free throws,” head coach Keno Davis said. “To be able to put up 20 assist on 29 field goals is quite an accomplishment.”
The Chippewas were down nine with 2:25 left in the first half, but that quickly changed with an 11-0 run to end the first half with a 42-40 lead.
“I think a combination of the half-court defense we went to and taking off the pressure defense got the half-court defense more stable,” Davis said. “Then when you knock down some shots it makes playing hard a lot easier.”
Knocking down the shots for CMU was senior guard Kyle Randall with a team-high 18 points despite not scoring until around the four-minute mark in the first half.
Sophomore guard Austin Keel and freshman forward John Simons were also in double-figures scoring with 17 points each.
“Usually those guys who are three-pointer shooters are not scorers and Austin Keel can be a scorer for us as well,” Davis said. “John has come so far in a short period of time, he creates a lot of mismatches and he’s improving rapidly.”
The Chippewas took off for Detroit right after the game to catch their flight to El Paso, Texas tomorrow as they will compete in the WestStar Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational this weekend.
CMU will start the tournament at 7 p.m. Saturday against Nebraska and then will play either UTEP or Arkansas Pine-Bluff on Sunday.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here