Women’s basketball upset No. 20 Texas, 73-65
Women’s basketball was able to finish the Maggie Dixon Surf and Slam Classic in a great way after upsetting No. 20 Texas 73-65.
This is Central Michigan’s third win against a ranked opponent under head coach Sue Guevara and the first this season after playing a ranked Notre Dame and Purdue.
The Chippewas outscored Texas 30-23 in the first half, but not after struggling to hit shots to begin the game. The first basket came at the 16:35 mark in the first half after senior forward Jessica Schroll scored on a fast break lay-up.
At the 10:44 mark in the first half; sophomore guard Crystal Bradford made a jumper putting CMU up 15-9, which started a 21-8 run to end the first half.
Three-pointers from sophomore guard Kerby Tamm and junior guard Niki DiGuilio helped the Chippewas stretch their lead to seven at the half. DiGuilio led CMU at the half with nine points after hitting three shots from downtown to end the half.
The second half started out slow for the Chippewas, shooting 1-9 from the field to begin the half.
But they managed to go on a 12-2 run during the middle of the second half increasing their lead to 14 (46-32). Senior guard Brandie Baker began the run with three points after making a lay-up and getting the foul. DiGuilio nailed a three pointer to end the run at the 11:01 mark.
CMU made 15 free throws in the final 6:02 of the game and was 21-for-26 for the game to maintain its lead despite the Longhorns getting to within four points with 16 seconds left.
Texas was forced into 23 turnovers and the Chippewas came up with 22 points off turnovers thanks to its aggressive defense, which had 11 steals in the game.
The three-pointer was falling, led by DiGuilio who was 5-for-8 from three-point range. The Chippewas made eight shots from beyond the arc in the game.
DiGuilio led CMU with 21-points. Schroll had 14 points and sophomore forward Jas’Mine Bracey had nine. Baker led the team with six rebounds.
After being on the road since Dec. 20 the Chippewas will head back home for a 2 p.m. tip-off Wednesday against Marquette in McGuirk Arena. CMU begins Mid-American Conference play on Jan. 10 against Toledo.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here