Editorial / Student Life

EDITORIAL: Forthcoming Ron Jeremy appearance an open, honest chance to talk porn

News of Ron Jeremy’s second visit to Central Michigan University in February, when he will debate anti-porn pastor Craig Gross, set off a heated debate online about whether the 59-year-old porn star should even be on campus to begin with.

Some think Program Board is lowering the university’s standing and credibility by bringing him on campus.

However, the fact that Jeremy’s previous visit to CMU garnered so much attention and debate is reason enough to justify his visit.

Jeremy and Gross will discuss important topics including pornography addiction and whether porn empowers or degrades women. These are serious issues that demand serious attention, and if bringing in a controversial porn star sheds light on these issues, so be it.

Just like other events featuring controversial speakers, including the recent Westboro Baptist Church visit, the campus community has the option to choose not to attend the event. If students are not interested in being part of the conversation Jeremy will bring to campus, there’s a simple solution: don’t attend.

However, if people are interested, this debate has the potential to yield valuable information to the audience.

After all, how much does the average CMU student really know about porn?

Some pornography, without question, can be degrading to women; it should not be assumed that the entire industry is riddled with men aiming to belittle women, but people will always make assumptions, even though those who react should be considering Program Board’s impulse for bringing Jeremy here.

In fact, Program Board might really be on to something here. After all, sex sells — and the overwhelming response to Jeremy’s appearance solidifies that statement.

Although porn isn’t always openly discussed, is the conversation really much different than the daily conversations we have about sex? Through television, movies, magazines and books, sex is a constant topic of discussion, and some might argue Jeremy’s appearance on campus is simply an organized discussion about the topic.

Through this debate, students have the opportunity to have their questions answered by somebody who has vast knowledge of the topic.

It’s better for the topic to be discussed than hidden, and inviting Jeremy to speak about porn is a tasteful way to foster a conversation that is often tastelessly done.

1. It’s sad to see CM Life jumped on the bandwagon supporting this sexual deviant before it asked how much taxpayers and hard-working students were paying for his appearance on the C.M.U. campus?

• Say what you want about Ron Jeremy, but isn’t one of the points of attending college to learn how to debate…learn how to TOLERANTLY discuss topics without freaking out and making yourself look like a fool? Do you know how RARE this ability is nowadays?

It’s like how Alex Jones went on Piers Morgan’s show to discuss gun control. The guy had some legitimate ideas, but the way he spoke about them without the ability to calm down made him look like an outright fool. The guy just rambled on for 13 minutes.

Hearing someone speak on campus, like Ron Jeremy, is perfect for allowing students to learn how to communicate with someone who does something you may completely despise. You’re going to get that sometimes in real life.

When the Westboro Baptist Church group came to campus, students made complete fools of themselves. They became angry, cutting each other off, unable to discuss anything useful or share each others’ point of view. I don’t think I saw one student lay out a question, slowly, calmly, with logic, while listenening to the other side with tolerance. It’s a little sad how students in college aren’t even able to communicate effectively with people who have differing opinions. It’s one of the most important skills to have as a human being, yet….parents and colleges don’t teach it.

I was at CMU when Ron Jeremy visited years back. It was a good talk, but half of the whole thing turned into a joke. Even before the thing began, someone filled up a condom like a balloon, prompting one of the student aids to jump up and grab the thing with as much force as the student was able to muster. It was hilarious how the kid reacted, so then everyone started filling these things up with air and throwing them around.

CM-Life knows how much he’s getting paid to come here…but the guy sells out the entire venue, with people having to be turned away. The kids attending the debate paid for his appearance, in a way, so what are you upset about? Who do you WANT to come to campus? And…give me a break. The students are hard working, yes, but are you trying to suggest that this isn’t worth the students’ money? How can that be when just about everyone wants to attend?

Do you think it would be better and more educational if the program board invited people who sparked no anger…no conversation…no new ideas?