Players react to third CMU women’s soccer coach since 2010
Peter McGahey is the third head coach of the women’s soccer team since 2010 and is the first from outside the program in that time.
Following the 2010 season, then-head coach Tom Anagnost left the Chippewas for the head coaching position at the University of Miami. Assistant coach Neil Stafford took over, and after two seasons at the helm, he bolted for the University of Cincinnati.
Despite the changes, players like junior mid-fielder Kaely Schlosser have stuck with CMU and, in doing so, have made three NCAA Tournament appearances.
“It actually hasn’t been that bad (going through three coaches),” Schlosser said. “I’m in a class of eight, and we all stick together and understand that it’s not going to be that different having a new coach.”
The hire was officially made late Wednesday night, and McGahey met with his new team briefly that night.
“We’re all excited to get to know him,” said sophomore forward Laura Gosse. “I love the fact he has a family and loves dogs, and he was very interested in my injury and all of us who are injured, which was nice to see.”
During the meeting, he talked about his philosophy, which is attack. McGahey’s Minnesota State Wildcats defense was nationally ranked in goals-against average in four-of-five seasons in Division II.
“His ideas sound pretty similar (to the previous coaching staff),” Schlosser said. “He has a lot of the same fundamentals that we’ve stuck with since I’ve been here, which is high pressure and attacking play, and I think that’s really good. He should be great for us.”
McGahey and his wife Dawn, along with his two children Ella and Will, come to Mount Pleasant from Mankato, Minn., where he was the head coach of the Wildcats for five seasons. He was also the assistant at South Dakota State and Central Oklahoma University previously.
“I’d like to thank my wife and kids for supporting me,” McGahey said. “We like to say we’re packing up our boxes and making new friends.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here