No burglaries over winter break, CMU police say
Police departments expect more burglaries while students are out of town on winter break.
But, this year, Central Michigan University police said none were reported.
Lt. Cameron Wassman said the low crime rate can partially be contributed to the department’s continued patrols around campus during break.
“We’re very diligent during breaks and holiday to check buildings around campus,” he said. “We’re still out there, even though students aren’t.”
Last week, Central Michigan Life reported CMU ranked as the fifth safest campus in Michigan by StateUniversity.com, which shows the odds of being the victim of a crime on campus.
However, less than an hour south of Mount Pleasant, Michigan State University, which ranked as the15th safest university in the state, experienced its fair share of break-ins during winter vacation.
Thirty MSU students were the victims of burglaries, home invasions and larcenies from buildings and cars from Dec. 15, 2012 to Jan. 6, the State News reported.
Wassman said other than having the Bovee University Center’s front door broken in on Dec. 19, the only reported crimes were the Jan. 7 vehicle destructions near Theunissen Stadium.
As CM Life previously reported, 26 vehicles parked in Lot 70 woke up to damage Jan. 7, including punctured tires, bent antennas and stolen gas caps.
CMU police Lt. Larry Klaus said between 10 p.m. Sunday and 3 a.m. Monday, one or two individuals punctured vehicle tires with a sharp instrument or knife, causing up to $4,000 in property damages. A $250 reward is being offered by CMU police for information that leads to the apprehension or arrest of the individuals involved in the crime.
According to CrimeMapping.com, Mount Pleasant experienced zero crimes between Dec. 15 and Jan. 6.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here