Wilkerson jumps for second first-place finish of season at CMU Open
The women’s indoor track and field team had a lot of good outings at Friday’s CMU Open win inside the Jack Skoog Indoor Track.
One of these came from freshman sprinter/jumper Shaya Wilkerson.
She showed her stuff in the jumping events, finishing first place in the women’s triple jump (11.44m), third in the high jump (1.58m) and sixth in the long jump (5.11m). Wilkerson helped the women’s team score more points on the way to an eventual victory. It was also an important performance to see where she was, coming off a month-long break.
“It felt good to get back out there and be with my teammates,” Wilkerson said.
Wilkerson attributed her success in the triple jump to her time spent training back at her hometown of Mount Laurel, N.J., over the break where she hiked, trained and worked out with her old high school team. This training helped Wilkerson when it was time for her final jump of the night.
“(Going into the last jump), I made sure I was ready to jump,” Wilkerson said. “I had to get myself together before I was ready.”
The Chippewas will build on the successes of Wilkerson and the team as a whole going into next Saturday’s meet at the Simmons-Harvey Invitational at Michigan, but Wilkerson knows this next week’s practices are going to be very important for her, as she plans to spend the time focusing on her triple jump skills, in hopes to possibly beat her personal best length on Saturday.
She showed she did lose a little, as her length decreased from the meet at Eastern Michigan where she took first with a jump off 11.67m. She also finished seventh in the 60m hurdle in Ypsilanti with a time of 9.29 seconds.
“Next week, I will be jumping a lot,” Wilkerson said. “I’ll be using practice to focus mainly on how I do in the triple jump.”
Though aiming to beat a personal individual best might be important, CMU as a team will need to be ready for the next obstacle on Saturday if it intends on scoring points as they did at the CMU Open.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- xe yamaha,xe may yamaha,xe máy yamaha,yamaha,gia xe yamaha,giá xe Yamaha,tim xe may Yamaha: Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished…
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here