Gen. Colin Powell’s contract outlines photo, travel requests
Central Michigan University must adhere to a few contractual agreements when retired Gen. Colin Powell visits next week.
From an elevated wooden podium with a lip to potential photo opportunities not exceeding 50 photos, Powell’s time in Mount Pleasant will be dictated by many rules, which CMU, referred to as “the client” in the event contract, must follow.
“(The) client agrees to provide Speaker with local transportation (including transportation to and from the airport) by sedan/Town Car from a professional car service, when and as required by Speaker while he is in the city where the engagement is to occur,” as stated in the contract.
Powell, who served as Secretary of State under President George W. Bush from 2001 to 2005, will allow still-photography without the use of a flash for only the first three minutes of his McGuirk Arena speech, so long as the photography is not distracting, the contract said.
The contract includes a diagram for photographers for easy and effective photo opportunities and other particulars about how people wishing for a photograph should be positioned in photos with Powell.
“Guests should come from his left, and they will depart to his right,” the text under the circular diagram explained. “The waiting line should be kept close to him, just out of camera sight, so time is not lost in walking to him.”
Other documentation and recording can be done exclusively for classroom instruction purposes, and the Washington Speakers Bureau must receive a copy of such materials in DVD format within two weeks of the event, the contract said.
Along with the speech, Powell will be involved in a few different events throughout the day on CMU’s campus, although the contract indicates his time line could be subject to change by 30 minutes either before or after particular engagements.
His speech, entitled “Leadership: Taking Charge,” is expected to last 45 to 60 minutes, followed by an audience question-and-answer session.
Signed by Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services David Burdette, CMU has agreed to follow every guideline outlined in the contract before, during and after Powell’s visit.
Powell will speak at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 24 in the Events Center.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here