News / Top Stories

Mount Pleasant man shot, killed following abduction, rape of CMU student

CMU Police Chief Bill Yeagley, left, speaks during a news conference on Thursday addressing a CMU student who was abducted at gunpoint from the Student Activity Center and sexually assaulted Wednesday night. The suspect, Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year old Shepherd man fled from the police with a stole sanitation truck and was shot and killed by a Crawford County deputy after ramming the deputy's vehicle early Thursday morning. (Victoria Zegler/Photo Editor)

CMU Police Chief Bill Yeagley, left, speaks during a news conference on Thursday addressing a CMU student who was abducted at gunpoint from the Student Activity Center and sexually assaulted Wednesday night. The suspect, Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year old Mount Pleasant man fled from the police with a stole sanitation truck and was shot and killed by a Crawford County deputy after ramming the deputy’s vehicle early Thursday morning. (Victoria Zegler/Photo Editor)

A Central Michigan University student is safe and with family after being abducted at gunpoint from the Student Activity Center and sexually assaulted Wednesday night.

Eric Lee Ramsey

Eric Lee Ramsey

The suspect, Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year-old Mount Pleasant man, is dead after leading the police on a chase through Northern Michigan, ending in Gaylord. He was shot and killed by a Crawford County deputy after ramming the deputy’s vehicle with a stolen sanitation truck.

Police allege Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year old Shepherd man, abducted and sexually assaulted a CMU student at this residence in the 8000 block of South Crawford Road Wednesday night. (Victoria Zegler/Photo Editor)

Police allege Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year old Mount Pleasant man, abducted and sexually assaulted a CMU student at this residence in the 8000 block of South Crawford Road Wednesday night. (Victoria Zegler/Photo Editor)

According to Isabella County Sheriff Department, Isabella County Central Dispatch received an emergency call at 10:05 p.m. from the victim. She said she was kidnapped at gunpoint from the SAC. Ramsey forced her into her own car, a 2003 blue Ford Escape, and drove her to a residence on S. Crawford Road, where he bound and sexually assaulted her.

Ramsey then returned the victim to her car, loaded two gas cans in the car, began driving, and told the victim he was planning to kill her, police said.

The victim jumped out of the car and ran to a residence on S. Mission Road for help. A resident let her in and while she was calling 9-1-1, Ramsey poured gasoline on the house and lit it on fire.

There were four people in the house at the time. One of the homeowners returned and was able to extinguish the fire.

The victim ran to this house in the 10000 block of South Mission Road, where residents contacted police. The suspect, Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year-old Shepherd man attempted to set the house on fire before fleeing. Burns marks can be seen above the front porch. (Jeffrey Smith/ Staff Photographer)

The victim ran to this house in the 10000 block of South Mission Road, where residents contacted police. The suspect, Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year-old Mount Pleasant man, attempted to set the house on fire before fleeing. Burns marks can be seen above the front porch. (Jeffrey Smith/ Staff Photographer)

Ramsey then fled the scene and ICSD was informed several hours later that a car matching the description of the victim’s had rammed into a Michigan State Police Trooper in Gaylord.

Ramsey then stole a sanitation truck and rammed another Michigan State Police Trooper.

A Crawford County Deputy located the sanitation truck and then Ramsey hit the deputy’s car head-on.

The deputy began shooting at the truck and fatally wounded Ramsey.

University President George Ross released a statement Thursday morning to the CMU community.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the CMU student involved in last night’s horrible crime. We are thankful that she is secure and receiving the care she needs with her family. The entire CMU community stands ready to help and support her and her family in whatever ways possible,” Ross said.

According to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Ramsey is paroled out of Isabella County and has a criminal past including malicious destruction of property, resisting and assaulting a police officer, assault with intent to harm and felonious assault.

ICSD was assisted by Central Michigan University Police Department, Michigan State Police, Shepherd Police, Tribal Police and the Isabella County Emergency Services Team.

Continue to check cm-life.com for more on this story.

1. does anyone know the victim and the man knew each other?

2. klassieprof says:

So Glad the woman was able to escape as much as she did with her life. prayers for healing for her.

3. Glad the cop got to kill him all rapists deserve that or worse and thank god for the people who let her in and helped her

4. HOOAH to Northern Michigan Law Enforcement and CMU Police for neutralizing
    this low-life piece of shit who lived by the name of Eric Ramsey.

To our politicians I say to you: Think twice about cutting
    back on future funding or training cuts of Michigan Law Enforcement agencies – including university law enforcement departments.

And, don’t be so quick to tamper with our Second Amendment
    rights. Even though one less piece of shit criminal is off the street, there are more lurking in the darkness waiting to strike and attack.

May God Bless the brave CMU young lady and to Mr. Persyn for
    raising such courageous and exceptional children!

And lest but certainly not last, to the officer who made that faithful decision: It’s never easy to make that micro-second decision to ‘Go’ or ‘No Go’. Please know and understand you did what was right, lawful, and just.

Only God knows how many other lives you saved by your decision. I, like many, stand beside you.

5. This is really great coverage, Catey. Way to be a leader in university media.
    - fellow college journalist at The State News