Speak Up, Speak Out to host political forum in UC Wednesday
Speak Up, Speak Out’s upcoming forum will feature special guests Susy Avery and Debbie Dingell and will focus on the outcome of the election and what it means for Michigan and the nation.
The ‘From the Ballot Box to the Inauguration: Looking Back, Looking Forward’ forum will combine the speakers and a panel of campus political experts for a presentation from 7 until 9 p.m. Wednesday in the University Center Auditorium.
Dingell is the wife of U.S. Rep. John Dingell, D-Dearborn, the longest-serving current member of Congress. She also serves on national committees and has her own talk show.
“She’s probably one of the most powerful women in Michigan, and she’s on a list on the 100 most powerful women in Washington, D.C.,” said forum facilitator Jim Hill, a Central Michigan University political science professor. “She’s going to take the 2012 election and give us a view of it from the Democratic Party.”
Avery is a former chairman of the Michigan Republican Party and is an active force in Michigan politics.
“Susy (Avery) will present the Republican view of the outcome of the election and where we go from here as a nation,” Hill said.
The panel that follows the speakers features Professor of Economics Jason Taylor, Deaprtment of Political Science Chairperson Orlando Perez, CMU College Republicans President and Traverse City senior Megan Gill and CMU College Democrats representative and Detroit sophomore Candace Grooms.
The forum is designed to get students to think about the issues they want to see solved and how to voice their concerns.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Now that CMU has been eliminated, is there a way to end Jaks…
- Track Watcher: With a dismal showing at the MAC meet, you always want to be…
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here