CMU offers programs encouraging growth of diverse student population
The multiple units making up the diversity department at Central Michigan University are constantly working to promote diversity and unite students, faculty and community members.
Different events are offered throughout the year aiming to join students together and celebrate the various cultures that make us unique.
Jamie Brown, interim director of Multicultural Academic Student Services, said CMU offers traditional events such as Hispanic Heritage Month, Native American Heritage Month, Black History Month and Asian Pacific American Heritage Month throughout the school year.
“I think anything we do that helps create a campus climate that’s more inclusive and educational helps take us forward,” Brown said.
Another program on campus, GEAR UP, also works to promote diversity at CMU. The CMU GEAR UP program works with various schools in the Flint area to prepare and promote these children to continue their education post-high school.
“(This program works to) significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post-secondary education,” Mary Henley, director of GEAR UP said.
Statewide GEAR UP programs work to provide tutoring and mentoring for students, host workshops on college preparation and cost and assist schools and teachers to better prepare students for college studies.
“We know from the numerous GEAR UP students who now attend CMU that the relationship-building helps bring these students to campus. The goal of GEAR UP is not to recruit students to CMU, but to help students learn early that college is accessible, attainable and affordable,” Henley said via email.
All the diversity units on campus worked together to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Monday. CMU’s celebration of MLK Day ends Thursday with a presentation from retired Gen. Colin Powell, which will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Events Center.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here