Editorial / Football

EDITORIAL: New contract for Dan Enos a mixed bag

We know what you were thinking last week when you heard the news that head football coach Dan Enos received a new four-year contract and salary increase.

“What? He doesn’t deserve it!”

Well, we agree with you. Sort of.

Breaking it down, Enos essentially received a 1 year extension, leaving him obligated to CMU through the 2016 season. He had three years remaining on his previous contract, having received a 1 year extension around this time last year, that would have kept him through 2015.

And here’s where we have no problem with the new deal: A 1 year extension gives him four years, enough ammo to walk into a potential recruit’s home, tell the young man and his family that he has (at least) four years remaining on his contract. It shows commitment from the university and security for the coaching staff, making it easier to attract the type of players they want.

With football (and even basketball), a four-year contract is a necessity. You can’t expect a coach to put together a good recruiting class with less than four years on their contract. It doesn’t work. Say what you want about inflated coaches’ salaries – and we agree, they are becoming ridiculous – but the length is required for success.

But, here’s the kicker with this new deal: a $35,000 pay increase. Enos was making a $250,000 base salary, but athletics director Dave Heeke saw a 7-6 season and a bowl win as reason enough to justify a raise.

Perhaps that raise would be justified following another decent, seven or eight win season in which the team showed long-term promise and racked up some quality wins.

But, since when does 13 wins over three seasons qualify as success? When did winning seven games with the weakest schedule in the nation become worthy of praise?

Sure, a win is a win, and following two consecutive 3-9 seasons, it was refreshing to see CMU take care of business and beat some weak teams. Next year, though, will tell us where Enos has the program. Losing starting quarterback Ryan Radcliff and key playmakers on both sides of the ball will test the younger players and reveal Enos’ recruiting strength.

If the team can pull together another respectable year with a bowl appearance, then the pay increase might be justified. But, right now, it looks like the athletics department is rewarding mediocrity.

1. Maybe that 35k should’ve been a bonus for a winning season, instead of a raise. Make him earn that extra money every year.

2. CMU Alum '78 says:

I think fans will be pleasantly surprised with the incoming recruits — given NO ONE seems to have bothered to look into them. There’s a new QB on campus from Hales Fransican that compares to LeFevour in terms of talent and athletic ability. Not only that, he’s outstanding in the classroom (HAD to be coming from Hales!!). Also, we now have three former players on the coaching staff who are very dedicated Chippwas, that …ahem…your Spartan Enos hired?!! HELLOOOO!!

You have to be patient and wait to see a team that is 100% Enos recruits before you can make ANY final judgements! Anyone with a modicum of football intelligence knows that! smh

You also have to do some investigating into the recruits that Enos has brought / will be bringing in and compare them to Jones’ (which actually Enos’ ARE superior so Jones’, which the next few years WILL prove) before you make any intelligent predictions.

I wonder: do all you nay-sayers like your crow rare, or well-done?? I just want to have your “meat” prepared in advanced for you. ;-)
    FIRE UP CHIPS

• Awesome! When his recruits brings results, he can have the bonus. I anticipate doing great things in my time at CMU, but I don’t get raises for anticipated results, also known as wishful thinking. Only actual results should count. Prove to me with a winning season that he is worth the money and I’d be happy to see him get a one time bonus.