Four members of football team named to academic all-MAC team
Four members of the Central Michigan football team have been named to the Academic All-Mid-American Conference team.
Senior quarterback Ryan Radcliff, senior wide receiver Cody Wilson, junior punter Richie Hogan and junior tight end A.J. Westendorp were all named to the 38-member team Thursday afternoon.
The Academic All-MAC honor recognizes a student-athlete who has excelled in academics and athletics. In order to qualify, the individual must have at least a 3.20 cumulative GPA and have participated in at least 50 percent of the games in that particular sport.
Wilson, who carries a 3.66 GPA as a marketing major, led the Chippewas with 74 receptions in 2012. He finished second with 840 yards receiving and also caught three touchdowns, including an 11-yard game-winning score in the Chippewas 24-21 victory over Western Kentucky in the Little Caesars Bowl on Dec. 26. This is his third-consecutive year on the All-Academic team.
This is Radcliff’s second time being named to the team. The Sherwood, Ohio, native carries a 3.47 GPA as an accounting major. In 2012, he completed 59.5 percent of his passes while throwing for 3,158 yards and 23 touchdowns. He threw just nine interceptions, by far his best since becoming the starter before the 2010 season, and finished with a passer rating of 138.9, also a career-best.
Hogan and Westerndorp were named to the team for the first time this season. Hogan carries a 3.45 GPA as a health and fitness major, while Westendorp has a 3.96 GPA as a biomedical sciences major. Hogan set a Little Caesars Pizza Bowl record when he booted an 82-yard punt in the first quarter. He finished fourth in the MAC in 2012, averaging 41.8 yards per punt.
Westendorp, a former quarterback, played mostly on special teams in 2012, recording 11 tackles.
Eight Chippewas also received Academic All-MAC honorable mention recognition, including freshman offensive lineman Nick Beamish, freshman defensive lineman Jabari Dean, freshman defensive back Kavon Frazier, sophomore linebacker Mike Kinville, freshman wide receiver Jesse Kroll, sophomore defensive lineman Matt Losiniecki, junior defensive end Kenny McClendon and senior offensive lineman Mike Repovs.
Dean recorded 28 tackles this season, while Frazier had 36, including an interception returned for touchdown at Eastern Michigan. Losiniecki recorded 22 tackles, two of which for a loss.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here