Moore Media Records fundraiser showcases local musical talent
All eyes were off the big screens and focused on the musicians who set up shop in the back of Buffalo Wild Wings, 1904 S. Mission St., Monday night.
Moore Media Records teamed up with Alliance for Women in Media on Monday for a fundraiser in which performers provided a preview of a new album to be released from the Moore Media Records label later this year.
“As a record label, we put out a new album every year,” Moore Media Records label president Robin Chan said. “We find various talents throughout Michigan and create a sampler album composed of their music.”
Chan said MMR puts on multiple shows throughout the year for sample releases and fundraisers, including one or two per semester at Kaya Coffee House, 1029 S. University Ave.
Chan said the process for putting together performances is slow. The planning for Monday night’s show started last October, and, since then, it has been a lot of paperwork, radio promos and artist selection.
Performers included at Buffalo Wild Wings included Wixom senior Ryan Anderson, Highland senior Kortez Buckner, Oakland senior Leah Petruska, Brighton senior Andrew Price and Frankfort sophomore Hannah Rae Beale.
The performers each delivered unique music and were no strangers to the stage. Each are signed to the MMR label.
Anderson took the floor first at 7 p.m., performing covers of popular songs and a few originals as a way to preview the up-coming album.
Anderson said he hopes to have a future in music.
“I am hoping to get an internship,” he said. “I want to be a music producer.”
A table of friends cheered Anderson on throughout his performance.
“He’s grand,” joked Hudsonville senior Taylor Remy, a friend of Anderson. “We came specifically for him.”
What started as a small crowd grew larger as the night progressed and more performers took the floor, each performing original pieces and covers, including music by Usher and Taylor Swift.
While Buffalo Wild Wings is famous for bringing customers in for the big games on television, more customers found themselves crowding around the small stage area and applauding music performances rather than sports games Monday night.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here