Juried student art exhibit gives artists opportunities to be awarded
The University Art Gallery is hosting its annual juried student art exhibition.
This exhibit gives students at the university a chance to give their art exposure in the CMU Main and West Art Galleries from Feb. 22 to March 23.
Any CMU undergraduate or graduate student is eligible to submit their work, up to three pieces of art, to the University Art Gallery or the art office in Wightman Hall for $5 (cash only). The deadline for all entries is 6 p.m. on Feb. 14.
Okemos senior Karley Hoffman said the art will be juried by two art professionals outside of CMU: one judge of fine arts and one of graphic design.
“The show will open on Feb. 22 with a reception on Feb. 23 from 2-4 p.m.,” Hoffman said. “This is when the awards will be announced.”
The judges will be awarding both cash and honorable mentions. There is also a chance for purchase and people’s choice awards.
Kathryn Hoffman received an honorable mention with her piece “In Flight” at last year’s exhibit.
“The Juried Student Art Exhibit is a great way for new artists to get a taste of what they’ll be experiencing after graduation,” the Grosse Pointe Park senior said. “It’s also a great way to get your name out and an opportunity to exhibit your work in a professional setting.”
For the first time last year, Brighton senior Andrew Jones entered multiple pieces, a website and photos. He received a purchase award for his photo “4-20.”
“It was rewarding to know that the university appreciated my work enough to put it into their permanent collection for others to enjoy for future years,” Jones said.
Both students said the exhibition offers artists a chance to self-promote and gives students an opportunity to appreciate new art.
“The exhibit is a great event that CMU offers students for all fields of study to come check out,” Hoffman said. “I encourage everyone to come by and see what other students are doing.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here