Fun., featuring CMU alum Andrew Dost, wins Grammys for Best New Artist, Song of the Year
Indie rock band Fun., featuring Central Michigan University alum Andrew Dost, took home a pair of Grammy awards Sunday night in Los Angeles.
The group won for Best New Artist and Song of the Year for their hit single “We Are Young.” They were also nominated for four other awards.
A group of CMU students joined together to watch this year’s Grammys for a more personal reason.
One fan in particular, Dost’s cousin and Virginia junior Abby Palmateer, was sporting Fun. attire and fond memories growing up with Dost. Upon hearing that her cousin was up for Grammy nominations, Palmateer said she was very excited.
“My mom called me right away and told me the news. She said I should brag about it on campus,” Palmateer said, laughing.
As a child, Palmateer remembers family gatherings with Dost, despite living far apart during their childhood.
During the band’s first performance, when they sang “Carry On,” Palmateer sang along.
Dost is a 2005 CMU graduate who majored in journalism. He was a Centralis scholar, receiving the university’s top full-ride academic scholarship. He started his musical career at CMU with a band named Anathallo and spent his weekends performing in different venues around the Mount Pleasant, Lansing and Detroit areas.
Cadillac senior Kori Marvin is a fan of the band and said he was very enthused when he found out about the band’s Grammy nominations. He said once he found out Dost was a CMU graduate, he became more interested.
“I’m a fan of the band, and, a few months ago, I found out (Dost) was a CMU alum,” Marvin said. “I’m rooting for him.”
Cheers and applause rang through the university center as Fun. won Song of the Year.
“I’m really excited,” Palmateer said. “I can just hear all of our family cheering right now.”
Kelly Clarkson beat Fun. for a Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album. The band also came up short in Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (Gotye & Kimbra). The other awards the band was nominated for were not announced as of press time.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here