Comedian Arvin Mitchell to replace Roy Wood Jr. at food taster tonight
Comedian Arvin Mitchell will replace Roy Wood Jr. at tonight’s Black History Month food taster in the Bovee University Center.
Mitchell will be performing in the UC Rotunda at 6 p.m. in coordination with the Multicultural Academic Student Service’s food taster event.
Mitchell gained popularity during his stint on BET’s comedy reality television show “Coming To The Stage,” where he finished as the runner-up in the show’s 2003 season. Mitchell has been involved heavily within the improv circuit since.
Wood, who was originally scheduled to perform, cancelled to pursue a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity with the Fox Network.
The event, coordinated by both Central Michigan University Program Board and MASS, will begin at 5 p.m., with soul food being served. Mitchell will hit the stage an hour later.
Program Board Vice President Mark Fairbrother said Mitchell is someone who Program Board has seen and worked with multiple times.
“Arvin Mitchell is someone we’ve seen at numerous conferences; he is an incredibly funny man,” Fairbrother said. “He’s performed here before, and he had a very good reception.”
D’Wayne Jenkins, assistant director of MASS said, MASS’s food taster event has been popular for one reason.
“Everyone likes food,” Jenkins said. “But, besides, it gives us a chance to share some of our culture.”
The event will serve soul food classics such as macaroni and cheese, mostaccioli and green beans. Food will be served buffet style, allowing students to sample each selection.
Allegan junior Monica Roark plans to attend the event simply for the entertainment.
“Mostly, I just want to go because I like stand-up and laughing,” Roark said. “It’s a great thing to do on a night out instead of seeing a movie or the whole bar thing.”
Tickets will be $3 at the door for students and $5 for the public.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here