HPRC students to complete 300 hours of service during Super Service Saturday this weekend
A group of about 130 students will be on a mission Saturday to complete at least 300 hours of service in one day.
The Heath Professions Residential College will be serving the campus and community by participating in Super Service Saturday this weekend.
HPRC will be volunteering at the Michigan Organization of Residence Hall Associations conference in the University Center, CMU Up All Night, Isabella Animal Shelter, Salvation Army in Midland, the Red Cross Mobile Food Pantry in Finch Fieldhouse and the CMU Triathlon Club’s Triathlon in the Indoor Athletics Complex in hopes of completing 300 hours of service in one day.
Last semester, the HPRC had about 4,800 hours of community service between August and December, according to HPRC Director Pat Cwiek.
“We really pride ourselves on community service, but we thought it would be great to pull people together as a community to go out and have a focused day of outreach,” she said. “Our goal is to have everyone who can serve out and helping in some way. We have about 180 students who are part of the HPRC, so we thought a marathon service day would be very effective.”
Not all 180 students will be able to volunteer this weekend, but Cwiek is still confident the students can reach the goal of 300 hours of service.
“We have students who are involved with sports, have class or work back home, so our target amount of students is 125. If we can get that many people involved, we will be very happy and better able to reach the 300-hour goal,” she said.
Though 300 hours might seem like a lot, the HPRC and Cwiek are hoping to break that mark. With 125 students, Cwiek is excited to see how many hours the group can get.
“We hope to meet or exceed our 300-hour goal,” she said. “With everyone helping out, I expect that we will shatter our goal, but that’s just a number. We just want to get everyone out and in the community.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
- : What is the standing cement block structure going to be for?…
- 5k: Solved the case!! …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here