Special use permit approved for Copper Beech, expansion on its way
The Charter of Union Township Board of Trustees approved a special use permit for Copper Beech Townhomes Wednesday night, allowing for a five-lane road to be built south of the complex.
Copper Beech began planning in mid-August for an expansion of their apartments that will include 258 extra bedrooms at 4750 E. Blue Grass Road, Zoning Administrator Woody Woodruff said.
“They added on 10 acres of development,” Woodruff said. “They just wanted to put in a driveway.”
Although the project has met all previous requirements, the application for a special use permit was revised and brought before the board for the second time tonight. Woodruff told Central Michigan Life in October the project will cost an estimated $8 million and $1 million will come back to Union Township in taxes.
Woodruff said those at Copper Beech were encouraged to build a three-lane highway on Commons Drive, just south of the planned expansion, that would extend all the way out to Isabella Road, thus reducing the amount of traffic build up that is common on Encore and Bluegrass roads.
“It’s just another delusion of traffic,” Woodruff said.
This plan would have cost an extra $40,000, Woodruff said, so Copper Beech returned to the board with their original plan of a five-lane road that will extend 610 feet from its current position before ending on Commons Drive. Drivers will have the option of exiting on Commons Drive and taking US-127 south or driving north on Encore Boulevard to Bluegrass Road.
Supervisor Russ Alwood said he was pleased with the project, as well as the progress Copper Beeech has made since its opening.
“When I’ve talked to several people, they said they’ve been full ever since they’ve been…there,” Alwood said. “They seem to be maintaining very well.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here