Baseball beats Bethune-Cookman 11-1 behind strong pitching and offensive surge
A group of underclassmen pitchers combined with an offensive outburst led to the baseball team’s 11-1 win against Bethune-Cookman that ended a three-game losing streak.
Freshman Taylor Lehnert got the start for CMU in the final game of the team’s two-game series against the Wildcats and he went five innings, allowing just one earned run and three strikeouts.
Fellow freshman Jimmy McNamara came in and relieved Lehnert by throwing three innings and recording seven strikeouts and allowing one hit.
As the freshmen were cooling down the B-CU bats, the Chippewas bats were heating up.
It was 1-1 heading into the sixth inning where the bats came alive, sophomore Nick Regnier was responsible for the run with a home run in the fourth inning.
The Regnier brothers teamed up again to bring in the team’s first couple of runs when freshman Logan started the inning with a single. Sophomore Pat MacKenize was hit by a pitch following a steal by Logan, putting two on for sophomore Nick Reginier who brought them both in with a triple to right-center field.
The eldest Regnier went three-for-six on the night with four RBI and a stolen base.
Younger brother Logan hit a RBI of his own in a four-run eighth with single that scored sophomore Tyler Huntey, who hit a RBI of his own in the inning with a fielder’s choice. Junior Noel Santos added a RBI single in the eighth as well.
Santos also hit a triple in the ninth scoring two in a three-run ninth that added, what would be, unneeded insurance runs.
Sophomore closer Matt Trowbridge came in and relieved McNamara in the ninth and struck out three batters to finish the game.
The Regnier brothers combined for a .500 batting average on the night and had five RBI, three runs and two steals.
The team is heading to Port Charlotte, Fla. for the Snowbird Classic Friday-Sunday where it’ll play West Virginia, Chicago State and Georgetown with the first game starting at 3 p.m. Friday against the Mountianeers.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here