Joe Staley shows up to CMU pro day to support Eric Fisher
Since the NFL draft began in 1936, there has only been one Central Michigan player drafted in the first round.
That was offensive tackle Joe Staley who was selected 28th overall by the San Francisco 49ers in 2007.
But come April 25, CMU is expected to have another first-rounder: offensive tackle Eric Fisher. And Fisher said Staley has helped him get acclimated with the lengthy process of preparing for the draft.
“Joe’s probably the biggest (help),” Fisher said. “He plays my position, so obviously he’s always good to talk to. It’s always nice having people like that in the building who have already been there and done that.”
In his five-year career, Staley has already played in a Super Bowl and has been a two-time Pro Bowl selection.
“I love watching film on him and watching what he does to defeat all his defenders,” Fisher said.
Staley was in attendance at CMU pro day on Monday and Fisher said he has not given him any emotional advice, but rather just little helpers of what to expect.
“You can’t try and change who you are or what you do or the way you perform,” Fisher said. “You prepare the past four years for all of this, not in two months. He just tells me to stay relaxed and to be myself.”
Like Fisher, Staley was not always an offensive tackle. Staley played tight end his freshman year in 2003 before moving to right tackle in 2004.
Fisher moved to offensive tackle his senior year in high school.
Staley wasn’t the only former Chippewa standout turn pro that was in attendance.
Green Bay Packers linebacker, now a free agent, Frank Zombo was in the IAC to see some of his former teammates try to obtain the level he has made.
Zombo was an undrafted free agent by the Packers and became a starter his rookie season. He even recorded a sack as he and Green Bay won Super Bowl 45 in 2011.
Not a former CMU athlete, but former Lions quarterback Jon Kitna was also in attendance to throw to his family friend, wide receiver Cody Wilson, although Kitna ended up watching as scouts wanted to see Ryan Radcliff throw instead.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here