COLUMN: Paint the town green
Whether you are ready or not, it is just about that time of the year again to wear all green everything.
St. Patrick’s Day is a day we all anticipate, mainly because it’s a day with green beer and a day to do the Irish jig, but do we really know or care to know the actual importance of this holiday?
Many people, including me, have either lost sight or have not been correctly informed of the history of this day. I grew up with the mindset that it is a celebration, but never knew the true reason behind it – that was, until a few years back.
Considering that we are adults now, it is just as essential to know the meaning of this day as much as it is to drink green beer. Although, while it is necessary to sport as much green as possible, it is just as important to appreciate this religious holiday.
St. Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland and he died on March 17, 461 A.D.
Traditionally, a celebratory feast would take place when a saint died to honor their entry into heaven, and there was no exception for St. Patrick. It as a day that marks his acceptance.
With his death taking place during the fasting period of Lent, it was found acceptable to waive and break Lenten fasts for the day.
In Ireland, this celebration was born, and traditions have been carried on throughout the world by feasting, dancing and drinking. In recognition, there are parades, parties and special activities to partake in and an overflow of the color green.
This is a holiday for a reason, so, yes, eat a traditional Irish meal of corned beef and cabbage, dance the Irish jig and enjoy the green beer. It is a day for it to be acceptable for all us girls to finally be able to wear green eye shadow, for everyone to make the shamrock a trademark, and it also is the anniversary of St. Patrick.
St. Patrick’s Day, otherwise known as a day to paint the town green, is a day to unite in a grand cheers to St. Patrick.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here