Pitcher Morgan Yuncker perfect in last three games
Junior pitcher Morgan Yuncker is 3-0 with two complete games in her last three appearances in the circle with 18.1 innings pitched.
Yuncker was recognized for her performance in the South Florida tournament over spring break, being named the Mid-American Conference West Division Pitcher of the Week. She pitched 12 innings in Florida, finishing with an ERA of 1.50 and surrendering a total of seven hits before pitching another game on Saturday against Wright State.
Yunker began with four strikeouts against Wagner on March 8 in a 7-4 victory. Against Quinnipiac on March 10, she gave up only one run in a 9-1 win, ending the game in five innings of play. She had a 2-0 record on the season and a team-best 1.74 ERA in 20.2 innings coming into this weekend.
“We made some really great plays in the field, and credit has to go to the defense,” Yuncker said. “If they don’t play well, the team goes down, and they did their job, yesterday. Honestly, I just go up there and try to do my job and they do the same.”
This weekend, Yuncker took the mound against Wright State, pitching 6.1 innings. She surrendered six hits and two earned runs but came away with the win, thanks to a late-inning rally to put the Chippewas ahead 3-2.
She certainly has done her job so far this season, leading the team with a 1.56 ERA in 27 innings. Yuncker is also a close second in both runs allowed and hits surrendered, only giving up 23. Hitters against Yunker have fared with a .221 batting average, forcing easy hits to the defense that has been steadily improving this year.
Head coach Margo Jonker has stressed the development of her defense over the season and was impressed by their production this weekend. The Chippewas pitching staff adds to that, composing a solid battery along with their catcher counterparts.
“Cory (DelLammielleure) works really hard, and she called a great game for us,” Yuncker said. “She does a good job studying the batters and knowing what pitch to throw.”
Yunker said she has a few elements of her game that need more work, saying that she wants to focus on getting ahead in the count more often and reducing her number of bases awarded by walks.
Expect to see Yuncker back in action next week, as Central Michigan heads to Fort Wayne, Ind., for a rematch against IPFW after a 10-6 loss in New Mexico.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here