Reviews

MOVIE REVIEW: “Oz The Great and Powerful” appeals to all ages

James Franco as the “flawed” but self-discovering Oz in Oz the Great and Powerful. (Photo Courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures)

“Oz The Great and Powerful,” a prequel to the classic “The Wizard of Oz,” came out on top when it premiered March 8, bringing in a total of $79.1 million in box office sales opening weekend.

After more than one week of showing, the movie continues to hold a leading spot in box office sales.

The film follows circus magician and conman Oscar Diggs (“Oz” for short), played by James Franco, on his adventure through the land of Oz to defeat an evil witch and become king.

Major characters from “The Wizard of Oz” film, including wicked witches and Glinda the Good Witch, returned to the screen, as did familiar settings such as Emerald City, which is designed to look similar to the city seen in the original “Wizard of Oz” film.

The movie was a mix of dark action, light humor and a little romance as Oz was able to steal the hearts of those around him, despite his less-than-honest ways.

A big theme throughout the film is a “change of heart,” one for the better and one for the worse, which leads Oz to his “biggest trick yet” and leaves the audience hanging on to their seats, psyched to see how it all turns out.

Besides the captivating plot, the film’s visual art and graphic effects are dazzling.

The film was a true pop of color creation. While the computer-generated imagery seemed a little overdone at times, the artistic direction and vision of Oz was stunning.

Every flower petal seemed to be the brightest shade of red and every magic wand spark seemed to fly off the screen.

The detail put into each pillar in the Emerald City and every ghoul creeping through the dark forest left the audience in awe.

The two-hour film is family-friendly but not child-oriented, as it relayed the message of “good versus evil” through the story line. The PG-rated film was still packed with terrifying flying monkeys and imagery that appealed to adults.

“My seven-year-old loved it, and I was thoroughly entertained as well, which usually doesn’t happen with children’s movies,” Southgate resident Sarah Griffith joked. “It was a great movie, definitely created for everyone.”

The film was a success from the visuals to the shocking turn of events.

Creatures of the film answered many of the questions left behind by “The Wizard of Oz,” such as who were the witches and why Oz was a behind-the-scenes man.

“Oz the Great and Powerful” was an overall exciting film that is worth its two-hour time. It could be recommended to most film fans, whether or not “Wizard of Oz” made their list of favorites.

Rating: 4 of 5 stars

1. Saw this movie yesterday was not impressed. For starters the two wicked witches used for this role Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz were totaly wrong for this part. I’m sure they are great actresses but when you are trying to give a back history to a classic film like this you could at least try to find someone who has a simliar look or flair that can compete with Margaret Hamilton. These two don’t even come close nor do I see any resemblance to the wicked witch from the classic film other than the green skin. Not convinced that James Franco who played Oz was also fit for this part. His lines were terrible. The only thing the castors got right was Michelle Williams who plays Glinda the good witch. She is spot on and perfect for this role. Midgets were disapointing.. as they were introduced as a jazzy dance scene to then be interupted by Oz. I enjoyed the graphics they were great and so were the flying baboons but this would not be so great that I would recommend anyone to run and see this film. A 4 out of 5 stars for this film is highly overated. I give it a 2.5.

2. Fantastic movie! Saw it today and the 3D images are terrific! The colors leave you breathless as they come to life in the flowers and birds! It’s only natural that a sequel should be in the works! I didn’t think I’d like this movie but it proved me wrong! I’d like to see it again! It’s nice to see a movie for the whole family without sex and vulgarity involved!

3. Could have done without the semi spoiler “shocking turn of events”.

• Hannah McCalister says:

I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and really does not give anything away. It is very suspenseful and did a great job detailing the movie in a professional way.