Politics

Immigration reform bill provides path to citizenship, funds for border fence

President Barack Obama meets with members of his national security team to discuss developments in the Boston bombings investigation, in the Situation Room of the White House, April 19, 2013 in Washington, D.C. Pictured, from left, are: FBI Director Robert Mueller; Lisa Monaco, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism; Attorney General Eric Holder; Deputy National Security Advisor Tony Blinken; and Vice Persident Joe Biden. (Courtesy Photo by Pete Souza/White House/MCT)

A bipartisan immigration reform proposal in the U.S. Senate would radically overhaul the United States’ immigration system and provide a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

The bill, crafted by the so-called “Gang of Eight,” a bipartisan group of senators, would create a path to citizenship for the 11-12 million unauthorized immigrants currently residing in the nation.

Under the bill’s structure, illegal immigrants might become residents after an approximately 13-year waiting period and paying $2,000 in fees. Those who were brought as youths would receive green cards in as soon as five years, after which they would immediately be eligible for citizenship.

The bill allocates an additional $4.5 billion dollars to increase border security; $3 billion of which is appropriated for the surveillance and patrolling of the U.S. Mexico border. The remaining $1.5 billion appropriation is dedicated to the construction of a fence on the border.

Central Michigan University College Democrats Vice President Taylor Gehrcke said the proposal was a compromise where both sides made concessions attempting to create a more secure border while addressing the illegal immigrants already living in America.

“I think it’s a step in the right direction, and (immigration reform) has been in need of (being) taken care of for a while,” the Comstock Park sophomore said.

Vice Chair of the CMU College Republicans Mike Holmes also called the bill a step forward.

“Any type of program that has the ability to create a system in which we, as a nation, can work together with millions of undocumented immigrants seems, at this time, to be the best option,” the Grand Rapids junior said. “Many call this amnesty, but, at this point in our history, this seems to be a logical option; however, basic amnesty is not what this plan calls for.”

Additionally, 250,000 merit-based visas, a special unlimited visa for foreigners to start a business in the U.S., a maximum of 180,000 visas for skilled workers and 200,000 low-skilled worker visas would be allocated to immigrants annually.

Political science professor Orlando Perez said the proposal is a solid starting point on immigration reform.

“Increasing border security and constructing a fence haven’t been efficient so far and will not be in the future,” Perez said. “With that being said, I think (the proposal) is a good first step. It recognizes that you simply aren’t going to deport 11 million people.”

However, these changes in immigration will only occur after additional funding is granted to secure the border and universal electronic employment verification systems are implemented.

“This bill is clearly a compromise,” President Barack Obama said in a Tuesday statement. “And no one will get everything they wanted, including me. (The proposal) is largely consistent with the principles I have repeatedly laid out for comprehensive reform.”

1. There isn’t an ice cube’s chance in Hades this abominable amnesty bill will ever see the light of day now that we have discovered that Chechen Muslim immigrants pulled off the Boston bombings. Stick a fork in it…. it’s done. The corrupt and incompetent Congress and that lying scumbag Obama cannot be trusted to protect you and your families. No way.

The absolutely, positively, honest to God final amnesty EVER was passed in 1986 and signed into law by Ronald Reagan (something he regretted later). Boy, did the American people get screwed but good with that one. What we’ve had is one corrupt and treasonous regime after another that have failed to give us what Reagan promised; a secure border and strict enforcement in the workplace and elsewhere. Comrade Obama isn’t enforcing immigration laws now, and there is no indication that his corrupt regime will in the future. He’s a stinking globalist who doesn’t give one whit about you… just his anti-American agenda.

2. michmediaperson says:

Why not deport 11 million? They broke the law. I wonder what Liberals on the campus would do if someone broke into their office, home, car, etc. They’d call the cops and want people arrested. Same thing here, those 11 million people broke into this country!!!!
    By sending them home, wages will rise since hotels, restaurants, etc., will need employees which is good for the minimum wage worker. People will get off welfare, unemployment, food stamps, etc. Plus, we don’t have to pay for the illegal’s health care.

Next, who exactly is going to run the background checks on 11 million.

Obama, the FBI and the big bloated federal government couldn’t even do a competent background check on the 2 Boston islamic terrorist brothers who killed 4 and maimed so many others!!!! One of them even became an American citizen on Obama’s watch.

These 11 million are criminals.

To Orlando Perez: Hey, Orlando, how would you like it if one of these illegals was using your social security number, your credit card numbers, etc. I don’t think you’d like it.

We need to E-verify every employer. If they are caught employing illegals, then give them the same kind of sentence you give someone copying a copyright DVD, 5 years and a $250,000 fine. If CMU, Dow Chemical, Ford get caught, either the employee is turned over to ICE for immediate deportation or the president/CEO gets a 250K fine for each employee and jail time.

The illegals are keeping wages low, driving up health and education costs. They are criminals like those breaking into homes, cars, businesses, etc.

• Your comment seems to be right and just. But at the same time you forgot where you came from. For sure you were born here, do not forget your roots!!!

• The way you think seems to be right, but do not forget where you came from. Our country was built by our ancestors who came from other countries. Do not forget where you came from. If someone had a right to say something, it wouldn’t be me or you, but the natives.

3. michmediaperson says:

To Anonymous and Melque:
    This is what your liberal professors and multicultural advisors failed to tell you.;
    Our ancestors CAME HERE LEGALLY. They came through Ellis Island in New York. They were processed in here. They didn’t steal social security numbers. They didn’t steal people’s personal identifications. This is what the 11 million are doing. They broke in. They steal our social security numbers, credit card numbers, personal IDs.
    Big difference. That is what the Liberals and multiculturalists, the anti-American crowd fails to tell you.

4. HollandKaas says:

And to those who claim that European immigrants destroyed the noble Native American, I have this for you: they failed on the evolutionary scale and could not survive. I thought evolution promoted survival of the fittest?

All of these white guilt apologists keep bringing that little fact up, yet ignore Darwin’s theories as it suits them.

In any other country (including the HUGELY multicultural EU states), illegal immigrants are deported. They have no right to be here and should go back to their crappy homeland.

5. Irving Plodmore says:

The border must be SECURE before anything else should even be discussed.

“Funding for border security”is code for nothing will be done to actually SECURE the border.