Football / News / Sports / Top Stories

Central Michigan’s Eric Fisher: ‘Honestly, I had no idea I was going to Kansas City’

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, left, and Central Michigan University left tackle Eric Fisher, right, hold Fisher's new Kansas City football jersey after being selected as the number one pick by the Kansas City Chiefs Thursday night during the 2013 National Football League Draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Fisher will join San Francisco 49ers Pro Bowl Tackle and CMU Alum Joe Staley as the only players in school history to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. (Victoria Zegler/Photo Editor)

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, left, and Central Michigan University left tackle Eric Fisher, right, hold Fisher’s new Kansas City football jersey after being selected as the number one pick by the Kansas City Chiefs Thursday night during the 2013 National Football League Draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Fisher will join San Francisco 49ers Pro Bowl Tackle and CMU Alum Joe Staley as the only players in school history to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. (Victoria Zegler/Photo Editor)

NEW YORK — Eric Fisher said on Wednesday he thought he had a “really good chance of going No. 1 overall” to the Kansas City Chiefs.

On Thursday night, it became a reality, being the first player to hear his name called at the 2013 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall.

“I’m really excited to be a Kansas City Chief,” Fisher said, trying to hold back his excitement. “What a dream come true and what an amazing opportunity this is for me. It’s hard to process right now what just happened, but I’m so excited to be a part of this organization.”

The 6-foot-7, 306-pound offensive tackle said he was unaware the Chiefs would be drafting him until he received the phone call.

“I think a lot of people knew more than I did,” he said. “When that phone rang, it was just so surreal. But, honestly, I had no idea I was going to Kansas City.”

His mom, who has never fallen short of giving him full support, could not hold back the tears when she heard her son’s name called.

“I think I saw some tears there,” Fisher said. “I knew she was probably going to cry, but she’s been my biggest supporter for everything in my life. She’s been behind me in everything I wanted to do in life and sacrificed so much to help me get here. She’s worked for 33 years, so hopefully she’ll retire now.”

Fisher said he cannot wait to be able to help her out and return the favor.

“She’s getting up at five in the morning to go to work and coming home at four,” Fisher said. “I’m so happy to have the opportunity to let her just enjoy the rest of her life.”

Fisher is the first Mid-American Conference player to be drafted first overall and only the second Chippewa to go in the first round.

“Not only for CMU, but for the whole MAC conference, I think it shows we’re making a name for ourselves,” Fisher said. “Central Michigan has a lot of guys in the league right now, and I’m the next one. I just hope the program can grow from all of this.”

Fisher said he could only imagine what the atmosphere was like in Mount Pleasant and his hometown Rochester Hills when he walked across the stage.

“I bet they are going pretty wild right now,” he said. “It was kind of frustrating because so many people were texting me when I was waiting for the call, but, I’m sure everyone is going wild. The fact that Mount Pleasant has a first pick coming out of there, it’s got to be going crazy right now.”

Just minutes after the draft, the Stoney Creek graduate already set lofty goals for himself.

“My goal now is to be a Pro Bowler my rookie year,” Fisher stated.

Fisher is the fourth offensive tackle to go No. 1 overall. Michigan’s Jake Long went first in 2008, Orlando Pace went No. 1 in 1997, and Hall-of-Famer Ron Yary was the first pick in the 1968 draft.

1. Chris Davis says:

This is the kind of positive PR you can’t buy. Hats off to Fish for making Central Michigan U a household name. Best wishes to him in Kansas City, thanks to his mother for raising a great kid, and thanks to his teammates and coaches at CMU for giving him the opportunity to develop into the No. 1 pick he was last night.

2. Proud of Big Fish, he’s always been a class act. Great article Zuker.

3. CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY IS ONLY GOING UP AND UP, AS THEIR SPORTS PROGRAM WILL BE WATCHED MORE CLOSLEY ,AND NOW THEY HAVE A NEW MEDICAL SCHOOL STARTING THIS YEAR ( M. D. PROGRAM ). GO CENTRAL AND I HOPE MORE STUDENTS WILL LOOK AT CMU. IT IS A FANTASTIC COLLEGE AND NOT OVER PRICED AS OTHERS IN THE AREA.