Student Life

‘Rocky Horror’ promotes community, unique entertainment

Troy junior Hayley McInerney puts finishing touches on her makeup in preparation to portray Magenta on Saturday at the Broadway Theatre in downtown Mount Pleasant. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)Utica senior Billy Mathis, at left, Lapeer senior Lucas Cosens, and Mount Pleasant sophomore Dillon Harke, at right, play video games in the dressing room as they wait for the Rocky Horror Picture show to begin on Saturday in the Broadway Theater in downtown Mount Pleasant. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)Laingsburg senior Amy Hazel puts finishing touches on her eye makeup in the dressing room on Saturday at the Broadway Theatre in downtown Mount Pleasant. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)Dillon Harke of Mount Pleasant plays the role of Brad proposing to Janet, who is played by Big Rapids junior Iana Neville during the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday night at the Broadway Theatre in downtown Mount Pleasant. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)Big Rapids junior Iana Neville, at left, Mount Pleasant sophomore Dillon Harke, Troy junior Hayley McInerney, and Utica senior Billy Mathis act out one of the early scenes in Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday at the Broadway Theatre in downtown Mount Pleasant. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)Utica graduate Chris Burch plays Frank during the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday night at the Broadway Theatre in downtown Mount Pleasant. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)Cast members of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at Saturday night's showing build a chair for Frank, played by Utica Graduate Chris Burch. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)Mount Pleasant sophomore Dillon Harke, playing Brad, and Lapeer senior Lucas Cosens, playing Dr. Scott, sing together during the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday at the Broadway Theatre in downtown Mount Pleasant. (Daytona Niles/Staff Photographer)
Amid a flurry of fish net stockings, feather boas and leather corsets, hundreds of overzealous moviegoers rose in unison and began to dance along to the age-old classic “Time Warp.”

For several years, the Broadway Theatre, located on 216 E. Broadway St., has hosted Alpha Psi Omega’s presentation of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” the campy and kitschy movie musical from the ‘70s that has turned into a pop culture classic with a cult following.

Every year, people of all ages from the Mount Pleasant area flock to the theatre the weekend before Halloween to watch the members of CMU’s theatre fraternity put on a shadow cast of the movie.

Mount Pleasant junior Conor Hall has been attending the show at the Broadway for years, and has been involved in the production since last year.

“I’ve been going to the performance since I was 14, so it’s been one of my favorite events for a long time,” Hall said. “Now that I’m in the fraternity, it’s a great opportunity, and not just because I get to dance around in garters and underwear.”

Fraternity members act out the movie on stage in front of the big screen, mouthing along to the lines and performing dance routines when needed.

Hall worked as an emcee at Friday’s show, sharing announcements and running the costume contests pre-show. He also played Dr. Frank N. Furter, the “sweet transvestite” who spurs the movie’s action on during the performances.

“The movie itself is absolutely ridiculous, so it’s a cult classic for that reason. I think people here know how dedicated we are to putting on the shadow cast and see how much we love it,” Hall said. “It’s just a lot of fun to dance and get dressed up and have costume contests and all.”

The fan’s dedication to the show was evident from the first moment in the theater, as people in bustiers and high heels crowded into the lobby of the theater a full hour before the show started.

“It’s just so much fun. I’ve been a big fan of the movie for a long time,” Petoskey sophomore Lexi Achterhof said. “I’ve gone two years in a row now, and I’m sure I’ll be going each year for a long time. I love how unique it is and how it’s become such a cultural icon. It’s so campy and cheesy, and that’s the best combination.”

Grand Rapids sophomore Daina Beebe attended the live show for the first time Friday.

“I’d seen the movie, read about the show in books and heard great stuff from my friends, so I knew I wanted to check it out. It was so much more fun than I’d anticipated,” she said. “It’s insanely fun to dress up and to be able to shout out things during the whole show. It’s not something you normally get to do in a theatre setting.”

The sense of community that is present at every show enhances the fun for the theater-goers.

“There’s a real community feeling when you’re out at the Broadway doing the “Time Warp” and call outs; you really feel like you’re a part of something,” Hall said. “Even if that something is based on a truly terrible movie.”

At once, the nearly 500 people present at the midnight showing returned to their seats, buzzing excitedly, as people continued to scream obscenities and throw props at the screen.

“Some people don’t get it, and that’s fine,” Achterhof said. “It’s just a bunch of brilliant weirdos coming together to dance, sing and celebrate. It’s fun, plain and simple. Sometimes you just need a release, and Rocky Horror is perfect.”

1. Conor Hall is the guy playing Frank in all the pictures! Thanks for the article, looks great!

2. Lisa Lull is the pretty lady playing Janet in the blue dress

3. Who played Frank Friday night? My friend and I are dying to know.