Politics

Obamacare’s next potential problem? Young people not signing up

President Barack Obama’s signature health care law is under fire from Congress and the general public for its glitchy website and dropped plans.

Now, it is facing another potentially crippling issue: Young people not signing up for health insurance exchanges.

Under the Affordable Care Act, health exchanges have been set up in each state with the idea that those without health insurance through their employers or the government could buy the insurance they need at an affordable cost. The law is designed to bring young, healthy people into the same risk pool as older, less healthy people, thus spreading costs out and guaranteeing good coverage across the board.

Thanks in large part to the glitches that have crippled the exchange website, only 106,000 people signed up for health insurance through the new exchanges in their first month, well short of the 500,000 the Obama administration was expecting and the millions it eventually expects to sign up.

Even more troubling is that in many states, people under 35 constituted less than 25 percent of those who signed up, according to the Associated Press. If that trend holds through Dec. 15, the last day Americans can sign up for insurance to receive it by Jan. 1, premiums and deductibles could skyrocket because the young, relatively healthy insurance recipients would not be there to offset the risk that comes with insuring sicker, older Americans.

The Obama administration has pointed to the similar Massachusetts health reform law signed by Mitt Romney as a reason for patience. In its first month of enrollment, just 123 people signed up, but that number, especially among young people, rose significantly as the deadline approached.

1. “Thanks in large part to the glitches that have crippled the exchange website, only 106,000 people signed up for health insurance through the new exchanges in their first month, well short of the 500,000 the Obama administration was expecting and the millions it eventually expects to sign up.”

This says it all. I don’t think the issue is so much that people don’t want healthcare, but rather the system to sign for healthcare is flawed. I attempted to sign up, but was unable to create a login. As it turns out I probably wouldn’t have been eligible for a plan anyway since my employer offers insurance, so it wasn’t a big deal.

2. Irving Plodmore says:

Obamacare is under fire because the President KNOWINGLY LIED in order to get the bill passed and then get re-elected in order to implement it.

Remember “If you like your health care plan you can keep it.If you like your doctor you can keep him. your premiums will be reduced an average of $2500″.

The Obamacare care law specifically prevents this from happening.

This is fraud and if it occurred in the private sector Obama would be indicted.

3. michmediaperson says:

Irving is 100 percent correct. Obama should be indicted for fraud. If they did this on Wall Street, there would be indictments.

Obama lied. In fact, black left-wing Pulitzer Prize winning columnist Leonard Pitts he said this in his column Friday. The Detroit Free Press, Michigan’s Democrat House Organ, even admitted this over the weekend. Obama should face impeachment and jail time. He LIED to get the bill passed and then LIED to get re-elected.

There are hundreds of videos and audios of speeches where he said you can keep your health care plan, your doctor, etc. and premiums will be reduced an average of $2500.

He lied! Biden lied. All the Democrats in the White House and Congress lied. Then, Oprah calls us racists for opposing Obamacare.

In the meantime, you young people need to go on Barack Hussein Obama’s broken down website that he forked over $637 million to Michelle’s Princeton classmate for the website.

WE WARNED ALL YOU LIBERALS THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!!!

You young people who voted for Mr. Hope and Change, you freeloaders need to get signed up for one of those $500 a month Obamacare plans. Quit wasting money on tattoos, hip hop and rap music, beer, wine, whiskey, Drag Queen Bingo, cable TV, I-Tunes, Smartphones, laptops, Starbucks and GET SIGNED UP!!! So, should all the Obama freeloaders in their 20s and 30s. Graduate assistants.

You Obama supporters are making him look bad. Have you seen his polls. His approvals are in the 30s. He may go down as the worst president ever.

You can get your birth control pills, pre-natal, pap smears, etc.

It will get worse a year from now when 90 more million are thrown off their insurance.

Obama is a socialist and marxism who has admitted he wants single payer which will destroy the greatest health care system.

Irving, you’re right. It’s fraud!

You students and young people, ages 20-39…….quit free-loading and get out there and buy Obama’s insurance.

You wanted Obama president. Now, support the liar! When the liberal journalists are saying this, you know there is a problem!