Metro / Police/Courts / Top Stories

CMU student air lifted to hospital after car accident on Broomfield Road

A Shelby Township sophomore was struck by a car Wednesday on the corner of Broomfield Road and Mission Street and airlifted to a hospital in Saginaw.

Anthony Cavataio, who is studying event management at Central Michigan University, was hit by a car while walking across Broomfield Road heading toward campus.

Vincent Cavataio, Anthony’s brother, said he was hit at 1:30 a.m.

“He was air lifted to St. Mary’s in Saginaw an hour after he was brought to (Central Michigan) McLaren,” Vincent said. “He is in critical condition.”

Vincent, who is a graduate student from Shelby Township and former CMU Student Government Association president, said he spoke with Mount Pleasant Police Officer Kipp Moe about the driver and the circumstances surrounding the accident.

Anthony Cavataio, a Central Michigan University sophomore, was involved in a car accident Tuesday. Since, his classmates and brothers in his fraternity have started a support group on Facebook and a hashtag: #PrayersForAnthony

Anthony Cavataio, a Central Michigan University sophomore, was involved in a car accident early Wednesday morning. Since, his classmates and brothers in his fraternity have started a support group on Facebook and a hashtag: #PrayersForAnthony

MPPD Public Information Officer Jeff Thompson could not be reached for comment for this story.

Vincent went to the hospital after his brother’s accident and has been paying attention to the recent news reports on his brother, as well.

“We were supposed to go home the morning of his accident,” Vincent said. “A lot of news sources have been misreporting.”

During his time at CMU, Anthony has been involved in the Greek community with Phi Kappa Tau, Leadership Safari and is a Leadership Advancement Scholar.

Zack Kowalski, a senior from Grosse Ile and member of Phi Kappa Tau, was contacted by one of Anthony’s friends after the accident.

“He’s really involved,” Kowalski said of his fraternity brother. “He helped with the public relations in our chapter, and he was just elected to vice president.”

After the fraternity was notified of Anthony’s accident, a Facebook page - “Anthony Cavataio: Our Man of Character” – was created to support the injured sophomore.

“We are trying to collect any letters or notes for Anthony on how much people appreciate him,” Kowalski said. “That’s the biggest thing we are trying to do for him right now.”

Phi Kappa Tau is looking for letters from other chapters and Greek members to write about how Anthony has made an impact on the community.

According to the Facebook page, those who want to write may drop letters off at the Phi Kappa Tau house at 906 S. Main St.

They will begin collecting letters for Anthony to deliver to him later in the week when he is able to read the letters of support and appreciation.

The hashtag #PrayersForAnthony is also being used to show support for Anthony on social media.

Continue to check back with Central Michigan Life as this story develops.

1. You can also leave cards in the Leadership Institute office or Woldt 110!

2. Anthony – You may be gone from Utica High, but you left your mark. We love you and continue to keep you in our prayers. Stay strong!

3. jennifer loe says:

Why do people think that accidents only happen to someone else? One of the best reasons is a person may have worked safely for many years without an injury and truly believes that an accident will not happen. Well accidents can happen any time. I am suggesting you to use this application SafeKidZone, it’s a safety management device. Whenever you’re in trouble you can actually press that Panic Button and your exact GPS coordinates will be sent over to their system and they will know where you are. They also got what we call a Safety Profile wherein you can upload your recent picture and any information about you. Whenever there is a real emergency, they can route it over to the nearest 9-1-1 center based on your GPS location. So essentially, responders will take less time in getting there because they know where you are. And of course, they will know what you look like. Check this link:http://www.SafeKidZone.com/