Academics / University

CHM 101 cancelled for Fall 2014: Professors say new active learning rooms to blame

File Photo | Emily Brouwer Students sit in Dow 135 during a Chemistry 101 class on February 14. This class will soon be cut and replaced with an active learning class.

File Photo | Emily Brouwer
Students sit in Dow 135 during a Chemistry 101 class on February 14. This class will soon be cut and replaced with an active learning class.

Katherine Blystone has been teaching chemistry at Central Michigan University for over 20 years, but next semester, she’ll have to forfeit one of her courses due to a miscommunication over the the university’s active learning room project.

Armchair Chemistry, designated as CHM 101 and typically taught in Dow 135 will be put on a temporary hiatus until the course can be “reconstructed” to be compatible with the active learning classrooms.The classrooms will be converted from two different Dow Hall rooms, including Room 135, a chemistry lab.

Blystone said plans for the active learning rooms and the class cancellations were made without faculty consent.

“This whole project blindsided us,” Blystone said. “(The active learning rooms) were never discussed with the faculty, we never even knew about the blueprints.”

One of the main reasons the classes were cancelled was the incompatibility of the rooms and the required safety measures needed to run a chemistry lab. These measures require access to wash sinks, safety showers and storage space for hazardous chemicals needed to carry out CHM 101 experiments.

Designs for the active learning rooms did not include these features, Blystone said.

A total of $1.5 million in university funding was allocated for the active learning rooms by Central Michigan University Board of Trustees in February. The project is being funded by the College of Science and Technology, the Academic Division Fund and the University Reserve Fund.

The active learning rooms are in essence modified lecture halls built around a central podium. The goal is to facilitate more communicative learning interactions between professors and students. Rooms will be outfitted with USB connections in the desks and a collection of display monitors.

While Blystone and other chemistry professors have called foul on administrators, others within the College of Science and Technology said faculty members were as informed as they could.

“It was done as timely (and transparently) as we could have done it,” said David Ash, chair of the chemistry department.

Provost Michael Gealt declined comment for this story and directed interview requests to Ian Davison, dean of the College of Science and Technology.

Davison also was unavailable for comment.

In order to adjust to the new active learning classrooms, the CHM 101 courses will be modified to be compatible with the new facilities. The only major at CMU which requires the course is the Bachelor of Science in Education.

In conjunction with the facility modifications, the course is being augmented to better fit the degree and the needs of students, too.

“We realized that the audience was a wad of students who wanted to be elementary school teachers,” said Jane Matty, associate dean of the CST. “They will not be taking toxic chemicals, flames, liquid nitrogen and things (used in CHM 101) into elementary school classrooms.”

According to Matty, when students first began registering for classes for the Fall semester, CHM 101 was not available.

Alternatives to the course are available

The course is a popular option under University Program II-B requirements. Three sections are usually available with between 100 to 130 openings per section. Since it was not listed, students had to choose a different class to fulfill the requirement.

Blystone said students were not offered any notification from the university that the course would be cancelled.

For those education students who need the class for their major, alternatives are offered through CHM 111 and CHM 120. Matty said both of the alternatives are not much more difficult than CHM 101 and both are designed for those without prior experience in chemistry.

“The only difference is, students who need lab credit would need to enroll separately in the CHM 127 lab,” Matty said. “But there will be extra sections of that offered as well.”

Matty added the department’s goal was to ensure the course remains just as effective as it was before, but safer with the elimination of different safety hazards and waste.

Ash was unsure whether any additional equipment would be installed in different classrooms to accommodate this new direction the CHM 101 courses are going in and that the future of the program remains a bit unclear as it will continue to be revised.

Although this change could have a negative effect on students and some faculty members now, Matty added that many in the department are excited for the new rooms.

Another concern among chemistry faculty members is the symbolic meaning of the cancellation. Blystone said some have taken offense that Dow 135 – dedicated to grandfather of armchair chemistry, L. Michael Carson – will no longer serve chemistry students.

Both Ash and Matty said they expect the class to return to Dow Hall, and quite possibly in the same room.

“There are many long-term benefits,” Matty said. “Thousands of students will benefit from the active learning rooms.”

In the interim, Blystone has been offered an additional course, at least until CHM 101 courses are reinstated in Spring 2015. Even with the assurances that CHM 101 courses will resume next spring, she’s worried about the class’ future.

“I’m not against the active learning classrooms, just with the way this was handled,” Blystone said. “(The course) shows (students) practical application and when it’s used in real world situations. I strive for that.”

According to Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of facilities management, work to begin transitioning the rooms into active learning classrooms will begin the week of May 12 and will be completed by the end of July.

One Comment

1. This is a nice report telling us how frustrated teaching and learning at CMU is.

The active learning class is just another item Davison can claim as his accomplishment in his CV (see below) for his job hunting.
    He claimed he is working on Poyang Lake project in China as an achievement. He said it is the largest lake in China but it is not. He spent more than half million dollars on this lake but not many people know how much taxpayer’s money he spent on this lake.
    When you google CMU deans’ names, you will find some of them on the provost’s finalists of other institutions. How they are working on enhancing their CVs is on their top priority, not to mention the real purposes for our students and university.

_His CV:____________________________________________

IAN R. DAVISON, Ph.D.
    200 ET Building ian.davison@cmich.edu
    Central Michigan University Office: 989-774-1918
    Mount Pleasant, MI 48859 Mobile: 989-330-2958

1. EDUCATION

Ph.D. Biological Sciences, University of Dundee (Scotland) 1983 Advisor Sir William D.P. Stewart, FRS
    B.Sc. Hons. (First class) Biological Sciences, University of London (England) 1979

2. HONORS AND AWARDS

Westfield College, University of London, Scholarship (1977) and Fellowship (1978) Royal Society (UK) Postdoctoral Fellowship
    Alexander von Humboldt (Germany) Postdoctoral Fellowship

3. EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Note: Some of the following positions were held concurrently, hence dates overlap.

CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY, Mount Pleasant, MI 2008 – present

CMU is a public university (fourth largest in Michigan) with 27,000 students (including 6,800 graduate and 7,000 off-campus students). CMU has seven academic colleges and annual revenues of $374 million.

Dean, College of Science and Technology July 2011 – present Responsible for all aspects of the operation of CST, a college with a revenue budget in excess of
    $60 million, an expense budget of $33 million and more than 200 faculty and 50 staff across 8 departments (Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Geography, Mathematics and Physics) offering 50 undergraduate and 12 graduate programs. Undergraduate enrollment is ~ 2,800 signed majors.

Ongoing Initiatives include:
    • Developing an international partnership between the CMU Institute for Great Lakes Research and Jiangxi Normal University to develop and fund collaborative education and research projects to address the environmental challenges facing Poyang Lake (the largest lake in China).
    • Leading college through the development of a 5-year strategic plan based on the input of five teams of faculty and staff, namely: recruitment and retention; new and improved academic programs; student support infrastructure; research and graduate education; marketing.
    • Revision of departmental bylaws to increase the standards of scholarship and accommodate variable workloads ranging from teaching to research-intensive appointments.
    • Recruiting a cohort of 3 or more research active faculty members in the area of advanced materials for energy storage. These faculty members will be hired in chemistry and engineering and be expected to participate in the Ph.D. program in the Science of Advanced Materials.

Accomplishments include:
    • Hired a Director of Student Services as first step in developing a college-wide recruitment and student support program.
    • Recruited a cohort of three research-intensive nuclear physics faculty members in collaboration with Michigan State University; these faculty members conduct research at the national Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB) under construction at MSU.
    • Provided improved facilities for members of the Institute for Great Lakes Research, including (completed or in progress): new 10 m research vessel (R/V Chippewa); NSF- funded experimental mesocosm facility and laboratory renovations (both the CMU Biological Station on Beaver Island); metal-free clean room for geochemistry.
    • Created new programs in computer and biomedical engineering (to complement ABET accredited programs in mechanical and electrical engineering)
    • Finalized a prioritization review for the college’s 90 academic programs that will guide future resource allocation and investments.
    • Developed plans for proposed $90 million Bioscience Building, submitted $30 million proposal to the state (awarded summer 2012).
    • Created a new Ph.D. program in Earth and Ecosystem Sciences and initiated planning for a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (in collaboration with the new College of Medicine).

Interim Vice Provost for Research June 2009 – July 2011 Responsible for externally and internally funded research programs at CMU, including proposal development and submission and all aspects of research compliance, University Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer. Accomplishments include:
    • A doubling of external funding (from $10 to $20 million between FY 09 and 11).
    • Created the Institute of Great Lakes Research (IGLR), a multidisciplinary research group of 20 faculty members focused on all aspects of the Great Lakes.
    • Developed plan to hire cohorts of research-intensive faculty
    • Recruited cohort of 5 outstanding faculty to join IGLR
    • Restructured CMU internal grant programs to focus on: providing 3 years of support for junior faculty; new research initiatives; funding projects in humanities and creative arts.
    • Hired additional staff to increase pre and post-ward support.
    • Overhauled responsible conduct of research (RCR) and compliance programs to meet federal standards.

Dean, College of Science and Technology 2008 – September 2009 See description above. Accomplishments include:
    • Creating course-release program to provide reduced teaching loads to faculty with large external grants.
    • Developed “Fire-Up” program to recruit academically gifted students to CMU (“Fire-Up Chips is the rallying cry for the CMU Chippewas football team).
    • Developed plan to provide greater autonomy and responsibility over budget at the departmental level with incentives for exceeding revenue targets.
    • Created the foundation for a sustained increase in CST student enrollments over the past two years.

ACADEMY OF NATURAL SCIENCES, Philadelphia, PA 2001 – 2007

A private not-for-profit organization, ANS has extensive biological collections and library holdings (17 million specimens) and pursues scientific research in systematic biology, taxonomy and environmental science. The Academy operates a public museum with associated revenue- generating units, and K-12 and adult education programs. Full time staff of ~ 230, operating budget ~ $12.5 million, endowment ~ $60 million, with other funding derived from annual giving, grants, contracts and earned income.

Vice President, Strategic Initiatives 2007
    • Initiated the preliminary stages of the Academy’s re-accreditation by the American Association of Museums.
    • Facilitated transition of responsibilities to the Academy’s new President.

Acting President and CEO 2006 – 2007
    Worked closely with the Board of Trustees and Board Chairman to manage the Academy during search for a new President and CEO.
    • Reduced Board-approved 2006 budget deficit by more than $200,000.
    • Exceeded annual fund target for development ($1.3 million).
    • Planned, implemented and completed fundraising campaign for a $1.2 million permanent live butterfly exhibit that opened in November 2006
    • Negotiated and obtained orphans-court approval for sale of part of mineral collection for $1.0 million.
    • Improved communications, increasing visibility and improving staff morale.
    • Launched new Academy-specific edition of Natural History magazine sent to all members and donors.
    • Hired new Vice President for Development and recruited Director of Exhibits.

Vice President for Exhibits and Education 2004 – 2007 Responsible for public museum (approximately 220,000 visitors a year), exhibits and education programs (~ 80,000 students), a full-time staff of 50 (and an equivalent number of part-time employees), and annual budget of ~$3.7 million.
    • Reduced expenses and increased operational efficiency by planning and implementing organizational restructuring.
    • Increased net revenue by more than 100% from 2004 to 2006 (from $231,000 to $475,196), setting revenue records in 2005 and 2006.
    • Generated an additional net surplus of more than $500,000 from the National Bicentennial Lewis and Clark exhibition in 2004-2005 (based on an expense budget of $1.9 million)
    • Led the development, funding and creation of two permanent exhibits (Alien Invaders and
    Butterflies!).
    • Negotiated joint venture with Villanova University to host Mendel exhibition (2008)
    • Developed budget and marketing plans for mission-appropriate traveling exhibits.
    • Appointed a new Director of Education and restructured the education department to improve programs, reduce expenses and increase revenue from grants.

Senior Advisor to President 2003 – 2007
    Provided advice and assistance to President to allow him to focus on external relations and fund- raising and was responsible for special projects.
    • Member of the Executive Council (the senior management group).

• Acted as staff liaison to several of the Board of Trustees committees.
    • Provided strategic input in developing and implementing most recent strategic plan.
    • Transferred Estuarine Research Center to Morgan State University, which allowed Academy to focus on Philadelphia operation.
    • Played a key role in developing 2004 plan to restructure (or reduce?) chronic operating deficit by $500,000.
    • Developed funding proposals to government agencies, foundations and private individuals.

Director Estuarine Research Center, St. Leonard MD 2001 – 2004 An environmental research laboratory on the Chesapeake Bay with a total staff of ~25.
    • Responsible for on-site operations of the laboratory, including facilities and boat maintenance.
    • Responsible for community outreach and development.
    • Developed and effectively managed budget of $2.0 million.
    • Led and supervised senior research staff.

•• UNIVERSITY OF MAINE, Orono, ME 1985 – 2001

Director of Maine Sea Grant
    1997 – 2001
    A Federally-funded marine and coastal research and education program with 12 staff and a total
    budget of ~$1.25 million.
    • Established independent Maine program.
    • Developed annual proposal to the National Sea Grant Office to obtain Federal support.
    • Managed annual peer-reviewed research competition.
    • Created strategic Plan and guided the program through an external review by the National Sea Grant Office.
    • Developed a joint Cooperative Extension (USDA) – Sea Grant program which increased outreach and education efforts.
    • Initiated and managed a new state-funded marine research program.
    • Represented the program to stakeholders including community-organizations, industry groups, fishermen, policy makers and resource managers
    • Worked with Maine’s congressional delegation to maintain the Federal appropriation for Sea Grant.

Professor 1985-2001
    Assistant (1985-1991), Associate (1991-96) and Full Professor (1996-2001) of Marine Sciences. Focus of research: physiology and biochemistry of marine algae and plants with emphasis on responses to environmental change.
    • Taught undergraduate and graduate courses.
    • Mentored undergraduate and graduate students and post-doctoral research fellows.
    • Developed and maintained externally-funded, internationally recognized research program.
    • List of research grants available on request.

4. PUBLICATIONS

a) Manuscripts in review

b) Refereed papers

Wyatt, K.H., E. Tevez, R.L. Woodke, R.J. Bidner and I.R. Davison (2013). Effects of nutrient limitation on the release and utilization of dissolved organic carbon from benthic algae in Lake Michigan. Freshwater Biology (in press).

Davison, I.R., T. Jordan, J.C. Fegley and C. W. Grobe (2007) Response of Laminaria saccharina (Phaeophyta) growth and photosynthesis to simultaneous ultraviolet radiation and nitrogen limitation. J. Phycol. 43: 636–646.

Chapman, A.R.O., R.J. Anderson, V.J. Vreeland and I.R. Davison (Ed.) (2003) Proceedings of 17th International Seaweed Symposium Oxford University Press.

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison. (2003) Diurnal changes in photosynthesis and reactive oxygen metabolismin
    Gracilaria tikvahiae (Rhodophyta). In: Proceedings of 17th International Seaweed Symposium,
    A.R.O. Chapman, R.J. Anderson, V.J. Vreeland and I.R. Davison (Ed.) Oxford University Press. pp 395-401.

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison. (2001) Seasonality and thermal acclimation of reactive oxygen metabolism in the brown alga Fucus vesiculosus. J. Phycol. 37: 474-481

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison. (1999c) Stress Tolerance and Reactive Oxygen Metabolism in the Intertidal Red Seaweeds Mastocarpus stellatus and Chondrus crispus. Plant Cell & Environment 22: 1143-1151

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison. (1999b) Reactive oxygen metabolism in intertidal Fucus spp. (Phaeophyta).
    J. Phycol. 34: 62-69

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison (1999a) Reactive oxygen production and damage in intertidal Fucus spp. (Phaeophyta). J. Phycol. 34: 54-61

Dudgeon, S., R.S. Steneck, I.R. Davison and R.L. Vadas (1999). Coexistence of similar species in a space-limited intertidal zone. Ecological Monographs 63: 331-335

Machalek, K.M. and I.R. Davison (1998) Influence of temperature and light on growth and photosynthetic physiology of Fucus evanescens (Phaeophyta) embryos. Eur. J. Phycol. 33: 129- 138

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison (1997). In vivo measurement of active oxygen production in the brown alga
    Fucus evanescens using 2′,7′-dichlorohydrofluorescein diacetate. J. Phycol. 33: 643-648

Machalek, K.M., I.R. Davison and P.G. Falkowski (1996). Thermal acclimation and photoacclimation of photosynthesis in the brown alga Laminaria saccharina. Plant, Cell and Environment 19: 1005- 1016.

Davison, I.R. and G.A. Pearson (1996). Stress tolerance in intertidal seaweeds: a review and preview. J. Phycol. 32: 197-211.

Chopin, T., T. Gallant and I.R. Davison (1995). Phosphorus and nitrogen nutrition in Chondrus crispus (Rhodophyta): effects on total phosphorus and nitrogen contents, carrageenan production, and photosynthetic pigments and metabolism. J. Phycol. 31: 283-293.

Kübler, J.E. and I. R. Davison (1995). Thermal acclimation of light-use characteristics in Chondrus crispus. European J. Phycol. 30: 189-195.

Dudgeon, S.R., J.E. Kübler, R.L. Vadas and I.R. Davison (1995). Physiological responses to environmental variation in intertidal red algae: Does thallus morphology matter. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 117: 193-206.

Pearson, G.A. and I.R. Davison (1994). Freezing stress and osmotic dehydration in Fucus distichus
    (Phaeophyta): evidence for physiological similarity. J. Phycol. 30: 257-267.

Davison, I.R., L.E. Johnson, and S.H. Brawley (1993). Sublethal stress in the intertidal zone: tidal emersion inhibits photosynthesis and retards development in embryos of the born alga Pelvetia fastigiata. Oecologia 96: 483-492.

Kübler, J.E. and I.R. Davison (1993). High temperature tolerance of photosynthesis in the red alga
    Chondrus crispus. Mar. Biol. 117: 327-335.

Pearson, G.A. and I.R. Davison (1993). Freezing rate and duration determine the physiological response of intertidal fucoids to freezing. Mar. Biol. 115: 353-363.

Davison, I.R., R. Green and E.J. Podolak (1991). Temperature acclimation of photosynthetic light harvesting in the brown alga Laminaria saccharina (L.) Lamour. Mar. Biol. 110: 449-454.
    Davison, I.R. (1991). Environmental effects on photosynthesis: temperature. J. Phycol. 27: 2-8. Kübler, J.E, I.R. Davison and C. Yarish (1991). Photosynthesis temperature adaptation in the red algae
    Lomentaria baileyana and Lomentaria orcadensis. Br. Phycol. J. 26: 9-19.

Dudgeon, S.R., I.R. Davison and R.L. Vadas (1990). Freezing tolerance in the intertidal red algae Chondrus crispus and Mastocarpus stellatus: the relative importance of acclimation and adaptation. Mar. Biol. 106: 427-436.

Davison, I.R. and M. Polne-Fuller (1990). Photosynthesis in protoplasts of Macrocystis pyrifera
    (Phaeophyta). J. Phycol. 26: 384-387.

Dudgeon, S.R., I.R. Davison and R.L. Vadas (1989). The effect of freezing on photosynthesis in intertidal macroalgae: Relative tolerances of Chondrus crispus and Mastocarpus stellatus (Rhodophyta). Mar. Biol. 101: 107-114.

Davison, I.R., S.R. Dudgeon and Hang-Ming Ruan (1989). The effect of freezing on seaweed photo- synthesis. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 58: 123-131.

Davison, I.R. (1987). Partial purification and preliminary characterization of pyruvate kinase from the brown alga Ascophyllum nodosum (L.) Le Jol . Br. Phycol. J. 22: 401-409.

Davison, I.R. (1987). Phenotypic adaptation of photosynthesis in Laminaria saccharina (L.) Lamour (Phaeophyta) to changes in growth temperature. J. Phycol. 23: 273-283.

Davison, I.R. and J.O. Davison (1987). The effect of growth temperature on enzyme activities in the brown alga Laminaria saccharina (L.) Lamour. Br. Phycol. J. 22: 77-87.

Reed, R.H., I.R. Davison, J.A. Chudek and R. Foster (1985). The osmotic role of mannitol in the Phaeophyceae: an appraisal. Phycologia 24: 35-47.

Davison, I.R. and R.H. Reed (1985). The physiological significance of mannitol accumulation in brown algae: The role of mannitol as a compatible cytoplasmic solute. Phycologia 24: 449-457.

Davison, I.R. and R.H. Reed (1985). Osmotic adjustment in Laminaria digitata (Phaeophyceae), with particular reference to seasonal changes in internal solute concentrations. J. Phycol. 21: 41-50.

Reed, R.H. and I.R. Davison (1984). Gas liquid chromatography of low molecular weight carbohydrates from marine macroalgae: A rapid extraction procedure using dimethyl sulphoxide. Br. Phycol. J. 19: 381-383.

Chudek, J.A., R. Foster, I.R. Davison and R.H. Reed (1984). Altritol in the brown alga Himanthalia elongata. Phytochemistry 23: 1081-1082.

Andrews, M.H.G., I.R. Davison, M.E. Andrews and J.A. Raven (1984). Growth of Chara hispida. I. Growth and basal decay. J. Ecol. 72: 873-884.

Davison, I.R., M.H.G. Andrews and W.D.P. Stewart (1984). Growth regulation in Laminaria digitata (Huds.) Lamour.: The use of in vivo nitrate reductase activities as an indicator of nitrogen limitation in field populations of Laminaria. Mar. Biol. 84: 207-217.

Davison, I.R. and W.D.P. Stewart (1984). Studies on nitrate reductase activity in Laminaria digitata (Huds.) Lamour. II. The role of nitrate availability in the regulation of enzyme activity. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 79: 65-78.

Davison, I.R. and W.D.P. Stewart (1984). Studies on nitrate reductase activity in Laminaria digitata (Huds.) Lamour. I. Longitudinal and transverse profiles of nitrate reductase activity within the thallus. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 74: 201-210.

Davison, I.R. and W.D.P. Stewart (1983). Occurrence and significance of nitrogen transport in the brown alga Laminaria digitata. Mar. Biol. 77: 107-112.

b. Published abstracts, symposia, etc.

Jordan, T.L., E. W. Koch, and I.R. Davison (2006) The effect of water flow induced carbon limitation on the physiology of Laminaria saccharina. J Phycol. 42 (supplement): 9

Grobe C.W. and I.R. Davison 2001. Effect of nitrogen and UV on growth and photosynthesis of
    Laminaria saccharina (Phaeophyta). Phycologia 40 (supplement): 42

Davison, I.R, J. Collén and J.C. Fegley (2000). Reactive oxygen metabolism in the tropical brown alga
    Dictyota dichotoma. J. Phycol. 36 (Supplement): 16.

Grobe, C., C. Yarish, and I.R. Davison (1998) Nitrogen: a critical requirement for Porphyra aquaculture.
    World Aquaculture Magazine 29: 34-36

Grobe, C., M.E. Vayda and I.R. Davison (1998) Temperature effects on rates of protein synthesis in Arctic, temperate and Antarctic Seaweeds. Plant Physiology. 117 (Supplement): 107

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison (1998) Acclimation of active oxygen metabolism in Fucus vesiculosus
    (Phaeophyta). Plant Physiology. 117 (Supplement): 104

Collén, J. and I.R. Davison (1997) Active oxygen metabolism in three intertidal Fucus species.
    Phycologia. 3 (Supplement): 20

Davison, I.R., V.A. Gerard, K.H. Dunton and J.N. Heine (1997) Acclimation of carbon metabolism to near-freezing temperatures in the endemic Antarctic brown alga Himantothallus grandifolius. Phycologia.. 36 (Supplement): 23.

Davison, I.R. and G.A. Pearson (1995). Photoinhibition and desiccation in intertidal fucoids. J. Phycol.
    31 (Supplement): 15.

Machalek, K.M. and I.R. Davison (1995). Characterization of thermal and photoacclimation in
    Laminaria saccharina (L.) Lamour. J. Phycol. 31 (Supplement): 22.

Davison, I.R. and K.M. Machalek (1995): Kinetics and regulation of thermal acclimation in Laminaria saccharina (L.) Lamour. J. Phycol. 31 (Supplement): 15.

Davison, I.R. and P.G. Falkowski (1994). Chlorophyll fluorescence in Laminaria saccharina. Plant Physiol. 105 (Supplement): 15.

Machalek, K.M. and I.R. Davison (1992). Seasonal changes in photosynthesis in the brown alga
    Laminaria digitata. J. Phycol. 28 (Supplement): 16.

Dudgeon, S.R., J.E. Kübler, R.L. Vadas and I.R. Davison (1992). Ecological strategies in the intertidal zone: The roles of morphology, phylogeny and physiology in the stress tolerance of red algae. J. Phycol. 28 (Supplement): 13.

Pearson, G.A. and I.R. Davison (1992). Physiological consequences of microhabitat variation in freezing rate. J. Phycol. 28 (Supplement): 14.

Davison, I.R. (1990). The effect of temperature on growth and photosynthesis of Laminaria. J. Phycol.
    26 (Supplement): 13.

Davison, I.R. , J.E. Kübler, R.S. Steneck and R.L. Vadas (1988). Comparative photosynthetic physiology of shallow and deep water populations of Laminaria in the Gulf of Maine. NOAA Symposium Series for Undersea Research 6(1): 27-44.

Davison, I.R. (1988). The effect of irradiance on carbon and nitrogen metabolism in the brown alga
    Laminaria digitata. J. Phycol. 24 (Supplement): 17.

Davison, I.R. (1987). The regulation of carbon metabolism in brown algae: The role of pyruvate kinase. J. Phycol. 23 (Supplement): 107.

Wright, P.J. J.A. Chudek, R. Foster, I.R. Davison and R.H. Reed (1985). The occurrence of altritol in the brown alga Himanthalia elongata. (Abstract) Br. Phycol. J. 20: 191.

Davison, I.R. And R.H. Reed (1985). Evidence for the subcellular compartmentation of mannitol and inorganic osmotica in brown algae. (Abstract) Brit. Phycol. J. 20: 198.

Davison, I.R. and R.H. Reed (1984). The osmotic significance of seasonal changes in the internal solute content of Laminaria digitata. (Abstract) Brit. Phycol. J. 19: 192.

Reed, R.H. and I.R. Davison (1984). Mannitol, the inside story. (Abstract) Brit. Phycol J. 19: 199.

Davison, I.R. and W.D.P. Stewart (1983). Seasonal variations of nitrate reductase activity in Laminaria digitata. (Abstract) Brit. Phycol. J. 18: 201-292.

5. GRANTS, FELLOWSHIP AND OTHER AWARDS

Note: The following list only includes my own research grants and does not include funds raised as part of my administrative duties.

2011-2012 “An experimental mesocosm facility at Central Michigan University Biological Station”.
    NSF Field Stations and Marine Laboratories $349,263. With Don Uzarski (CMU).

1999-2003: “Nitrogen limitation and UV-stress in marine macroalgae” NSF Biological Oceanography Award OCE-9907305. Collaborative research with Carl Grobe (Westfield State College, MA) and Malcolm Shick (UM). $222,887 (UM Share only).

2000-2001: “Fluorescence-based estimates of primary productivity by marine macroalgae” National Underwater Research Program. $11,935 (travel and supply costs only; lab fees, board and lodging and boat time are covered in a separate award).
    1996-1998: “Physiological responses of Porphya to nutrient limitation” Sea Grant. $129,097. 1995-1999: “Emersion stress in intertidal seaweeds: Role of Active Oxygen” NSF Biological
    Oceanography Award OCE-9521341. $300,293.

1995-1999: “Thermal adaptation in polar macroalgae.” NSF Polar Program Award OPP 9418033.
    Collaborative research with Dr. Valerie A. Gerard (State University of New York, Stony Brook) and Dr. Ken Dunton (University of Texas). $128,118 (UM share only).

1995: Deutscher Akademische Austauschdienst “Photosynthesis of Antarctic Macroalgae” 5,250 DM. This funded a 6-week collaborative project with Dr. Christian Wiencke at the Alfred-Weger Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven (Germany).

1992-1993: NFS Biological Oceanography OCE 9213284 “Regulation of seaweed photosynthesis by temperature.” Sabbatical Fellowship in Marine Biotechnology. $62,789.

1992: NSF Biological Oceanography award OCE 9012622 “Effect of freezing on intertidal seaweeds” Supplement. $4,380.

1990-1993: NSF Biological Oceanography award OCE 9012622 “Effect of freezing on intertidal seaweeds.” $200,166.

1989-1990: National Underwater Research Program (NOAA) “Changes in coastal food webs and benthic community structure in the Gulf of Maine due to fisheries-induced declines in

large predatory fishes” co-PI with: R.S. Steneck, R.L. Vadas, R. Wahle and I. Babb.
    $14,600 direct costs, plus 24 days ship and submersible time (approximately $284,000).

1987-1989: NSF Biological Oceanography award OCE 870073 “Temperature acclimation of photosynthesis in Laminaria saccharina.” $102,000.

1984-1985: Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung Fellowship to continue research at Biologische Anstalt Helgoland. 32,500 DM.

1983-1984: Royal Society (UK) European Exchange Fellowship to visit Biologische Anstalt Helgoland in West Germany. 36,000 DM.

6. COURSES TAUGHT

Intermediate Plant Physiology (with laboratory); Plant Physiology (with laboratory); Graduate & undergraduate seminars; Physiology of Aquatic Macrophytes (graduate course); Photosynthesis (graduate course); Introductory Biology; General Ecology; Marine Ecology.

7. ADVISEES

Graduate Students:
    Dr. J.E. Kübler: Ph.D. Biological Sciences 1986-1992. Dr. K.M. Major (Machalek): Ph.D. Biological Sciences 1991-1996. Ms. Terry Jordan: M.S. Oceanography 2005-2008.

Postdoctoral Research associates:
    Dr. Kevin H. Wyatt: January 2010 – August 2012 Dr. Gareth A. Pearson: January 1991 – January 1994. Dr. Steve R. Dudgeon: January-April 1992.
    Dr. Jonas Collén: January 1996 – June 1999
    Dr. Carl Grobe: August 1996 – 1998
    Dr. Jill C. Fegley: April 2001 – March 2002