Police/Courts / Top Stories / University

CMU student sentenced to six months in jail for assaulting an officer

Mount Pleasant police officer Andrea Brown looks to her co-worker during Rachel Harrison's court hearing at the Isabella County Court House on Wednesday afternoon. Officer Brown had a knife pulled on her in her own vehicle outside of Harrison's sorority house. (Morgan Taylor | Assistant Photo Editor)

Mount Pleasant police officer Andrea Brown looks to her co-worker during Rachel Harrison’s court hearing at the Isabella County Court House on Wednesday afternoon. Officer Brown had a knife pulled on her in her own vehicle outside of Harrison’s sorority house. (Morgan Taylor | Assistant Photo Editor)

Central Michigan University sophomore Rachel Harrison was sentenced to six months in jail and three years of probation Wednesday after being charged with three concurrent sentences of assaulting an officer, carrying a weapon with unlawful intent and assault with a weapon.

Harrison must pay $1,945 in fines and must undergo a psychological assessment during her incarceration.

“I am truly sorry for what happened that night,” she said. “I had no intention of harming anybody. I had the intention of trying to help a friend out that night, and it just went bad very quickly.”

Harrison threatened and pulled a hunting knife on Mount Pleasant Police Department Officer Angela Brown in November.

Brown addressed the courtroom during the trial, supported by several Mount Pleasant Police officers in attendance.

“She was given several commands to drop the knife,” Brown said. “I remember thinking in my mind that I was justified in shooting Ms. Harrison based on her actions. I wanted to give her every opportunity to drop the knife, even at the risk of my own safety.”

For more on this story, keep reading cm-life.com

1. Strange how it goes unreported that this girl is a part of the Phi Mu sorority. What happened to CMLifes reporting view that the action of one member speaks for the character of the whole organization? Gotta love that biased reporting CMU. Way to go.

2. Really anon, that’s all you have to say about some girl who just had her life ruined? Seems like that cop is making her career on the backs of students. Mount “Pleasant” my a$$.

• You are totally right CeeCee. The girl pulled a knife on an officer and it’s the officer’s fault that she is spending time in jail.

• Is it not a fact she pulled a knife, on cop.

Ba ba deek what’s up doc?

Can’t stand MP police, but come on that’s a stupid move.

Doesn’t matter the bs the cops say about it…

Dumb

• Anonymous says:

Had her life ruined? She made choices and now lives with the consequences. No one is to blame but her. Her choice, her consequence. End of story

• Or… hear me out… you could just not pull a knife on an officer. Seems like a simple solution to not ruin your life. Good lord, what happened to personal accountability?

3. I personally know Rachel and the officer never told Rachel that she was a cop. Rachel was investigating why there was a strange woman in a car, by her house. Sad to see that the judge believed the officer’s lie. Even sadder to see such a private matter publicized for the whole school to see. My heart goes out to Rachel, she’s a strong woman and I know she’ll get through it. She just really doesn’t deserve this.

4. CeeCee, you have the audacity to say that a police officer that was told not to go alone and investigate the tire slashing, that went there on her own accord to stake out one night and make sure everything was okay, that gave a clearly troubled girl the chance to correct a snap-decision mistake, is trying to make her career on the back of students? Life ruined? You pay for your mistakes and this girl is paying hers. Get real.

5. Anonymous says:

I’m sorry did you just say had her life ruined?? She pulled a weapon on a police officer and refused multiple commands to drop it. She only got 18 months in jail and 9 years of probation, she’s lucky she has a life to live!

6. Cee Cee…. Had her life ruined? She made choices and now she suffers the consequences. No one did this to her. That’s the problem these days. No one wants to take responsibility for themselves.