Metro / Mount Pleasant / News / Top Stories

Mount Pleasant City Commission release names of three city manager finalists

Mount Pleasant's City Commission announced the names of its finalists for the vacant city manager position Monday night. (Gokul Kumar | Staff Photographer)

Mount Pleasant’s City Commission announced the names of its finalists for the vacant city manager position Monday night.
(Gokul Kumar | Staff Photographer)

Mount Pleasant’s City Commission announced the names of three finalists vying for the city manager position at its regular meeting on Monday.

Finalists for the position are Interim City Manager Nancy Ridley, Robert Bruner of Mount Clemens, and Pete Olson of Yorktown, Ind.

Aside from Ridley, who was announced publicly as a candidate early in the search, Bruner and Olson opted to remain anonymous throughout the process. The revelation of their names comes two weeks after commissioners voted to schedule three dates later this month for a public reception and interviews.

Olson currently serves as the town manager of Yorktown and was appointed to that role in 2009. Previously, Olson served as the deputy town manager in Yorktown, the city manager of Union City, Ind., as well as holding down a city administrator position in Sutton, Neb. Olson earned his undergraduate degree in political science in 1997 from Fort Hays State University in Wichita, Kan. He earned his master’s degree in public administration in 2002 from the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

In 2010, Olson became a credentialed member of the International City/County Managers Association (ICMA).

Bruner, the third candidate, is the interim city manager of Mount Clemens. Previously, Bruner served as city manager in such cities as Birmingham and Ferndale, but also in assistant city manager positions for Ypsilanti and Oak Park. Bruner graduated from Albion College in 1999 with an undergraduate degree in political science and government. He earned a doctorate degree in the same field from Wayne State University in 2009.

The Mount Clemens manager is a credentialed member of the ICMA, as well, but also boasts a 2011 Crain’s Detroit Business 40 Under 40 award.

Aside from fulfilling her duties as Mount Pleasant’s stand-in city manager, Ridley holds the position of assistant city manager and the director Finance and Administrative Services. She has been doing both jobs since her appointment as interim manager in January. Ridley has worked for the city since 1997, and previously held multiple Finance and Administrative Services positions with Central Michigan University since 1985.

Ridley is a CMU alumna, earning both her baccalaureate and graduate degrees in business administration from the university. If she is not chosen for the position, Ridley said she would return to her role as assistant city manager.

The three candidates will be introduced to city officials and the citizens of Mount Pleasant during a public reception on June 23. City Commission will hold public interviews with the finalists starting at 9 a.m. on June 24, and finally, will hold a public meeting on June 25 to announce its next manager.

Check back with cm-life.com later this week for more stories on the finalists.

1. 02.10.14 City officials approve $19K to purchase a list of candidates for the city manager position. Officials are provided a field of 12 applicants professionally screened as qualified finalists for the position.
    -
    05.12.14 Commissioners convene closed session pursuant to Section 8(f) of the Open Meetings Act. The Morning Sun reports the field of finalists is four individuals and Vice Mayor Tilman indicates the commission intends to make it five.
    -
    06.09.14 Commissioners convene closed session pursuant to Section 8(f) of the Open Meetings Act. CMLife reports the field of finalists is three individuals.
    -
    City officials would have us believe, pursuant to the OMA, they have done no more than review and consider the contents of the applications in closed session.
    -
    How did the $19K field of 12 applicants become a field of three applicants without any ‘decisions’ having been made?

2. Consistency in administration – city commissioners have identified three city manager applicants disposed to intentional statute violation.

City officials’ FELONY Misconduct documented on the web, search: Perpetual Confusion Mt. Pleasant, Autonomous Bureaucracy or Regulations Optional; intentional breach of positive statutory duty, oath of office and ethics policy: More Invasive, Higher Cost.

3. William Johnson says:

Sad day mr Bojoda. Your life pursuit of taking down the city is the only thing you have left in your limited world. You are at least entertaining

4. On a positive note – city officials were able to identify nine applicants as intolerant of intentional statute violation.