CMU administration in a game of musical chairs

Shake up a hat and pull out a name.

Things are transitioning quickly at Central Michigan University with at least 15 administrative positions searching new leadership in an array of jumbled switches.

The most recent is Dan Vetter appointed as interim dean of College of Business Administration, effective Aug. 31, from his position as senior associate dean of CBA.

Claudia Douglass became interim vice provost for academic affairs Aug. 10. And Douglass’s former position of associate dean of the College of Science and Technology is still without an interim.

Employment carousel Recent administration additions and interims: • Edward Tolcher as interim vice president of Development and Alumni Relations • Christopher Ingersoll as dean of the College of Health Professions • Raymond Francis as interim associate dean of Education and Human Services • Cam Enarson as interim dean of the CMU medical school • Ian Davison temporarily heading the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs • Richard Cochran as associate dean of Libraries • Tom Trionfi as director of Health Services • Tim Boudreau as interim chairman of the journalism department • Toby Roth as interim director of government relations
Although there are a lot of positions left without permanent replacements, Cali Clark, director of employment and compensation, said the movement is not necessarily unexpected.

“This is more than normal, but that’s typical when a president leaves,” she said.

Interim Provost Gary Shapiro said the larger number of interims will not affect how the university operates. The focus of the university seldom changes, he said.

This being Shapiro’s second stint as interim Provost, he believes CMU can move forward.

“We’re fortunate that we’ve been able to have people with administrative experience step into these positions,” he said.

But some positions are being passed around.

The College of Communication and Fine Arts has been playing musical chairs with the administration when a national search brought Salma Ghanem to CMU as dean of the college. Diane Krider, who moved up to interim dean from associate dean of CCFA, did not go back to her former position, as she began a transitional leave of absence on Aug. 1, according to a document from Steve Smith, director of public relations.

Al Wildey, interim associate dean of CCFA, now will remain in that position instead of returning to his previous title as chairman of the Art Department, causing Larry Burditt, graphic design professor, to be appointed interim chairman.

Although Shapiro was shocked and surprised by some the position left open, he said he feels the university cannot lose sight of what is really important — helping students learn.

“Fate sometimes gives us surprises,” he said.