Previous relationship critical with new hire for track team

New throws coach John Ridgeway gets to work with All-American Greg Pilling upon coming to CMU.

Ridgeway is a former shot put thrower at the University of North Carolina. He was a two-year letter winner at UNC and earned all-Atlantic Coast Conference honors in 2000-01.

Director and coach Willie Randolph had a previous relationship with Ridgeway before hiring him, something he said is important for any program.

During his tenure at the University of Louisiana-Monroe, Randolph’s throws coach, Glen Jenkins, was close friends with Ridgeway.

Ridgeway brings 10 years of coaching experience to CMU.

“I have definitely looked and seen what his credentials are, not only as a coach but as a person as well,” Randolph said. “He brings a lot to the table that we are excited about and we’re looking to continue that great tradition of throwers. He’s somebody who can come in right away and do that.”

After leaving UL-Monroe, Ridgeway joined the University of Central Florida’s track coaching staff, specializing in throws and horizontal jumps.

“Randolph contacted me about the position, and I was very impressed with the interview process and I felt comfortable at CMU,” Ridgeway said. “We had some mutual acquaintances, and we were excited to learn more about each other. Everything I heard about him was positive.”