A 'Fab' failure for Program Board and On the Fly

Somebody in Central Michigan University’s programming screwed up big time.

Program Board and On The Fly Productions are co-sponsoring rapper Fabolous’ performance at 7:30 tonight at Rose Arena. The event, which ends Hip-Hop Week at CMU, cost $25,000 out of the programming budget.

Tickets originally cost $14 to $22 for students, faculty and staff. Program Board President David Breed said in early August it was a good time to bring him because Fabolous’ new album, “Loso’s Way,” released July 28, went straight to No. 1 on iTunes.

Things got funny a month later. On Monday, the show became free for students, faculty and staff. Breed said slumping ticket sales contributed to that decision. Coordinator of Student Activities Damon Brown cited other reasons, including the excitement around the CMU football team’s 29-27 upset over Michigan State last Saturday.

On Thursday, On The Fly Productions and Program Board made an appearance at Wares Fair for the first time in years. Why? To hand out Fabolous tickets to students.

In a nutshell, CMU programming paid $25,000 for a rapper it has to give away tickets for. Somebody screwed up big time.

I am all for bringing quality entertainment to campus. Dane Cook and Dave Matthews were here before my time and were extremely popular. Ludacris and T-Pain also came to campus in high demand over the last few years.

Let’s face it: students are drawn to entertainment. Program Board and On The Fly worked hard over the years to help that. But somebody here miscalculated who CMU students would pay money to see.

According to the Web site concertideas.com, here are some of the other acts CMU could have ended Hip-Hop Week with for around the same cost or cheaper: Bubba Sparxxx ($12-15,000), Chamillionaire ($20-25,000), Ice T ($12-15,000 as a lecturer), Mike Jones ($20-25,000) and the Ying Yang Twins ($10-15,000).

I’m not saying all of those acts are better choices. And I’m not saying all of those acts are available for that specific time and date. But when you pay $25,000 for an act you can’t get people to go to, you didn’t make the right choice.

Singing comedian Stephen Lynch, coming Oct. 16, is the next big test. His price tag is $37,000. Ticket prices are not quite set. But will students pay to see him?

If not, CMU programming has to go back to the drawing board and get a real pulse of the students.

Find an act CMU students will pay to see.