Bridal shop on Mission Street closing

For the first time in 12 years, there will not be a bridal shop at 1014 S. Mission St.

Owner of Elizabeth’s Elegant Bridal Elizabeth Soderquist is closing her bridal gown shop when she empties her inventory.

“I love this and I love being a part of people’s weddings,” Soderquist said.

Soderquist’s shop had been open for three and a half years after her company replaced a different bridal shop, but the struggling economy is making it difficult on her.

“People are really budget shopping right now. The last thing you want to do is pick out something you cannot afford to do and start your married life in a mountain of debt,” Soderquist said.

Brides with dresses on order will be receiving their dresses no matter what, she said.

“It’s a nightmare — I couldn’t do that to somebody,” Soderquist said.

Another shop in the mall closing

Soderquist did not believe the location of her store was a factor in its closure.

Video Land, next to Elizabeth’s Elegant Bridal, closed this past spring.

Mount Pleasant Sewing Center and Quilt Shop, 1024 S. Mission St., liked the location. The company moved from 2157 S. Mission St. about one year ago.

“Here, we have so much better visibility, parking is better, our signage is better to Mission,” said owner Shirley Thompson.

Soderquist does not know who will move into her property when she leaves, but there are plans to fill the space between her store and the sewing shop.

“There’s gonna be a party store put in there within a month,” said James Fox, co-owner of the property.

Working together

Over the past three years, Soderquist worked closely with Kirk Dafoe, owner of Black-Tie Tuxedo and Costume, 1017 S. Mission St.

“She’d give us swatch collars from her manufactures, and she has our catalogues over there,” Dafoe said.

The two shops also worked together at the annual Mount Pleasant Bridal Show, and the two showcase each other’s merchandise in their windows.

Dafoe said his company also felt the crunch of the economy, but feels 2010 will be a much better year.

“We’ve had a few weddings postponed (to 2010),” Dafoe said.

Keith Levi, owner of Mid-Michigan Tux and Bridal in Remus, is thinking of opening a branch in Mount Pleasant.

“We’re growing real fast and they don’t have anything like we offer,” Levi said.

Mid-Michigan Bridal and Tux is scheduled to open later in the fall at 1139 S. Mission St.